Really loud squealing noise with new install

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

jehuie
Community Member
Community Member

Really loud squealing noise with new install

Post by jehuie » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:49 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I just installed Arpicade 4.3 on a Pi4. I have not installed any game roms or done any modifications to settings at all.

When I put it in my Neo-Geo cabinet (Jamma), it makes a gawd-awful loud squeal that is relentless. The menu comes up and I can cycle through it. But the noise is relentless and coming through both speakers. However, when I plug the game into another Jamma cabinet that I have, there is no squeal. But other games that I plug into the Neo-Geo do not squeal and the sound works fine. I've tried it with my ArcadeSD as well as the original Neo-Geo board.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thank you!

John

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Really loud squealing noise with new install

Post by dee2eR » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:28 am

not sure exactly what is happening there... if you hadn't mentioned other JAMMA boards I'd suggest the cab could be wired for stereo sound off the 'JAMMA' edge connector, which was the MVS standard. Assuming the cab is wired for mono at the JAMMA edge I'm at a bit of a loss, especially if the RJ board works fine in another JAMMA cab...

Is there any difference between the 2 cabs you're aware of?

jehuie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jehuie » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:36 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:28 am
not sure exactly what is happening there... if you hadn't mentioned other JAMMA boards I'd suggest the cab could be wired for stereo sound off the 'JAMMA' edge connector, which was the MVS standard. Assuming the cab is wired for mono at the JAMMA edge I'm at a bit of a loss, especially if the RJ board works fine in another JAMMA cab...

Is there any difference between the 2 cabs you're aware of?
I'm not aware of any differences but then I'm not the one who wired this thing up either. I don't believe it is the original NeoGeo wiring harness.

Does the Arpicade support stereo sound?

I'll need to read up on how the wiring SHOULD be on a Jamma connector and then trace it out to see what is different.

jehuie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jehuie » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:18 pm

It looks like it is wired for stereo sound. I didn't realize that the NeoGeo cabinets were wired differently for this. I may temporarily re-wire it back to standard JAMMA and see if that solves the problem.

jehuie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jehuie » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:28 am

Yep. The squealing was caused by the standard NeoGeo stereo sound setup. I pulled the ground cable from both speakers and then connected up the Speaker+ and Speaker- wires (on Neo Geo they are called "speaker left" and "speaker right") to a single speaker and the squealing stopped.

Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:03 am

I had no idea the ArcadeSD supported stereo on the JAMMA edge MVS style... good to know.

There were a bunch of different NEOGEO game board variations, some were JAMMA, some MVS and some could be switched between mono and stereo to support either wiring style. I think all the multi slot variations were just MVS style but I could be wrong...

For my own 4 slotter MVS cab I have a JNX Big Red adaptor for if I want to use a JAMMA board in it. I can recommend the JNX Big Red if you're planning to use the cab for both JAMMA and MVS wired games (or just want ot keep the MVS cab wiring original).