Returning user, where to start?

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

Meph
Community Member
Community Member

Returning user, where to start?

Post by Meph » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:21 pm

I have been absent from my arcade collection for about 5 years now and am just getting back into it. When they first released I bought an Arpijamma from Highscoresaves and have a Pi 3B V1.2 with it. I originally had a image that I had bought when I purchased the Arpijamma but at some point had pulled the Pi off and installed an image to run on my TV with HDMI. I looked but I don't see my original image on my drives so I need to start from scratch. I know where to get the roms I need, I am just looking for a suggestion for a base image to install. I am not interested in running anything other than Mame and Daphne roms since this is going in my Big Blue cabinet. Any help would be appreciated getting me back on course. I don't currently have a vertical mame cabinet so I am looking for a horizontal image but not opposed to playing some vertical games on it for the mean time. Thanks

Meph
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Returning user, where to start?

Post by Meph » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:47 am

I installed 3.x on my SD card today. I realized the only mame set I have on my backups is 0.184 and I have the roms, CHDS, snaps, etc. 0.184 isn't one of the rom versions currently on 3.x so what do you recommend?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:49 am

MAME 0.172 is the best place to try first. Many of your roms from the slightly later version may work fine, but they may be close enough for the romcenter or similar to convert a lot of the roms that don't work on 172.

If something doesn't run well on 172 then try AdvMAME (MAME 0.106) and FBA (uses a modified version of MAME 173 romset, again some of your 184 roms may work) next.

Meph
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Meph » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:45 am

It's going to take me a couple days to get back in the swing of it. It's been some years since I used Mame and a lot seems to have changed. All the sites I used to use seem to be gone but i'll figure it out. Just needed a point in the right direction so I am not wasting my time. Thanks

Firehawk
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Firehawk » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:07 pm

On https://archive.org/ you can still find some rom packs.

henrryyy
Community Member
Community Member

Post by henrryyy » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:09 am

Meph wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:21 pm
I have been absent from my arcade collection for about 5 years now and am just getting back into it. When they first released I bought an Arpijamma from Highscoresaves and have a Pi 3B V1.2 with it. I originally had a image that I had bought when I purchased the Arpijamma but at some point had pulled the Pi off and installed an image to run on my TV with. I looked but I don't see my original image on my drives so I need to start from scratch. I know where to get the roms I need, I am just looking for a suggestion for a base image to install. I am not interested in running anything other than Mame and Daphne roms since this is going in my Big Blue cabinet. Any help would be appreciated getting me back on course. I don't currently have a vertical mame cabinet so I am looking for a horizontal image but not opposed to playing some vertical games on it for the mean time. Thanks
I recommend the RetroPie image for your Arpijamma with Pi 3B V1.2. It's perfect for Mame and Daphne roms, and easy to set up. Enjoy your gaming!