ARpiCADE meets Vertipie (WIP)

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

ARpiCADE meets Vertipie (WIP)

Post by mR_CaESaR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 am

Didn't really know where to put this as it's not really a "support" type thread, more of a "this is what I'm working on thread" :)

Once upon a time, I downloaded a raspberry pi image specifically designed for SHMUPS called "Vertipie" by Freddy Poli who was originally part of a Retropie FB group which is now known as the Project Hyperpie group.

I wanted this rpi image since it was the only one out there that had a collection of vertical games and used the fancy attract mode (was fancy back then :D).

Ever since this image existed, I've always had a desire to build my very own dedicated shmups cab. At some point last year, that dream became a reality when I built the weecade inspired verticade :)

It went perfectly with my Horiztonal Hyperpie build - they were a match made in bartop heaven :)

As we all know, I wouldn't be on this forum if it wasn't for my recently purchased RaspberryJamma. I obviously purchased the RaspberryJamma for an Arcade setup. For me, it's the Sega Astro City, which up until 20 days ago, was non-existent in my garage. I managed to get one at a decent price and another at a complete bargain ($AUD150), unfortunately the the chassis on it has a vertical collapse and is currently getting fixed.

Since 3.8 is runs attract mode natively, I thought I'd try creating additional displays which uses the same layouts from the Original Vertipie.

Steps I've taken:
  1. Copied all the roms from the vertipie image (appears to be a full romset of advance mame since there's over 6k files) and shoved them under /boot/roms/mame-106/
  2. Copied all the layouts from vertipie and copied them over to /boot/attract-layouts (there's only 4 - MAME, CAVE, SHMUPS and PSIKYO)
  3. Copied the romlist from vertipie to /home/pi/.attract/romlists
  4. Created a CAVE display with the layout Vertipie-Cave using the list Vertical Cave - repeat this step to setup the other 3 displays
What I now have is a display for each type of genre mame (everything vertical that's not a shmups) and shmups (technically, CAVE and PSIKYO can both fit under the SHMUPS banner display, but it's much easier to sort them by the company since Cave SHMUPS are renowned).

Here's the generic display showing every single game

Here are the other 4 displays setup

Cave

Mame

SHMUPS (capcom, toplan, taito, midway etc)

Psikyo

I obviously still need to rotate my screen and fix up the width, but you get a rough idea of how it looks :)

I'm hoping to add/remove some roms from the romlist eg. add Ketsui, DodonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Espgaluda to the CAVE page and remove all the games from the MAME page (should just be a matter of adding/removing a line in the romlist).

I will be testing further, but I'm hoping I don't have to put roms in individual folders so for example, I create a "vertical-cave.txt" romlist on the Cave display and when I launch DoDonPachi II - Bee Storm, it runs it through advance mame or if I launch DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou, it runs it through FBA using the romlist below..

Code: Select all

ddp2;DoDonPachi II - Bee Storm (World, ver. 102);advmame;;2001;IGS;Shooter / Flying Vertical;;;;;0;;;;;
feversos;Fever SOS (International, Ver. 98/09/25);advmame;;1998;Cave (Nihon System license);Shoot-;;;;;0;;;;;
agallet;agallet;advmame;;;;;;;;;0;;;;;
esprade;esprade;advmame;;;;;;;;;0;;;;;
guwange;guwange;advmame;;;;;;;;;0;;;;;
ddonpach;DoDonPachi (International, master ver. 97/02/05)";fba;;1997;Atlus / Cave";;;;;;;;;;
ddpdojblk;DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label (V100, (2002.10.07.Black Ver), Japan)";fba;;2002;Cave / AMI";;;;;;;;;;
dfeveron;Dangun Feveron (Japan, ver. 98/09/17)";fba;;1998;Cave / Nihon System inc.";;;;;;;;;;
espgal;Espgaluda (V100, Japan)";fba;;2003;CAVE / AMI";;;;;;;;;;
Still plenty of testing to do and I'm still waiting for my chassis to come back from repair, so there's no major rush to have it sorted, but hopefully my theory works :)

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: ARpiCADE meets Vertipie (WIP)

Post by wboy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am

Very cool, great pics. Love the bartops! Great effort!

So where do you live exactly and when do you typically go on overseas holidays? j/k #INeedAUte!

We have the exact same Sega Astro City series cabinets... (the nicer looking ones too I will add!) ;)

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 pm

wboy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am
So where do you live exactly and when do you typically go on overseas holidays? j/k #INeedAUte!
hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
wboy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am
We have the exact same Sega Astro City series cabinets... (the nicer looking ones too I will add!) ;)
Yes, definitely my preference - I searched high and low for this model and not cracked. They're not perfect, the doors are scratched and on one it had a bracket installed on the coin door so there's holes if I remove it. I've chosen not to "re-paint" both of them as I like the black marks for "character" :) I'll go through a cut and polish to try and bring it back some life, but other than that, I don't plan to do anything extensive to them.

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:32 am

I was pretty lucky with my cabinet actually (mind you I've had it 15 years already I reckon). No screen burn and general condition was great. There are two massive cracks on either side of the fibre grass right under where the control panel folds out from when you unlock it. As if someone sat of jumped on the controller panels. Thought I'd get it fix, but is still solid as so I never bothered.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:53 am

wboy wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:32 am
I was pretty lucky with my cabinet actually (mind you I've had it 15 years already I reckon). No screen burn and general condition was great. There are two massive cracks on either side of the fibre grass right under where the control panel folds out from when you unlock it. As if someone sat of jumped on the controller panels. Thought I'd get it fix, but is still solid as so I never bothered.
Yep. Standard setup. It's the most common issue with the astros.

It was the first thing I looked for with both of mine...

I don't mind the black marks, but I didn't want any cracks.

Should get my two chassis (MS8 and MS9) from service early next week.. They've both been brought back from the dead!

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 am

Managed to get my chassis installed and she's a beauty!

Ketsui seems to run fine

The cave collection

The generic shmups collection

The psikyo collection

The arcade classics collection (sorryy about the bad image)

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:49 am

Very nice. Now wish I had a second matching Astro City dedicated for vertical use! Oh well.

Seems the 1P Green & 2P Pink buttons (with yellow start buttons) was standard issue. Eggzachary like mine!

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:56 am

wboy wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:49 am
Very nice. Now wish I had a second matching Astro City dedicated for vertical use! Oh well.
DO IT! :D :D :D

I couldn't get over the difference in experience going from horizontal to vertical
wboy wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:49 am
Seems the 1P Green & 2P Pink buttons (with yellow start buttons) was standard issue. Eggzachary like mine!
Yeah, Green and Pink sanwas were the standard issue.

I'm currently looking for a 1p CP for my vertical setup though..

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 am

mR_CaESaR wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:56 am
DO IT! :D :D :D

I couldn't get over the difference in experience going from horizontal to vertical
Oh I've seen the difference alright, but it really hurts my neck holding my head at right angles playing a vertical game unrotated on a horizontally mounted monitor!

Some bright idea that was... :idea: :roll:
mR_CaESaR wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:56 am
I'm currently looking for a 1p CP for my vertical setup though..
WTF.... no 1943 with 2P.... what's wrong with you man.... you living in a CAVE!?!?!

No point showing off my Astro as yours look no different, so here is my Hankin Wonder Boy Cocktail.... original board and also a RaspberryJAMMA hiding within!

Even just found my old invoice for it... January 1998... it's been in my care of over 20 years now (wow) and was seriously not played enough over that time thinking back! Minor internal work and external cosmetics done over time including new JAMMA harness, joysticks and buttons but for the most part everything else like the cabinet and monitor are still in excellent knick. In fact I've had more grief with the Astro's Nanao monitor over time.
Attachments
hanking_cocktail_wboy.jpg
hanking_cocktail_wboy.jpg (215.12 KiB) Viewed 13192 times

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:20 am

wboy wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 am
Oh I've seen the difference alright, but it really hurts my neck holding my head at right angles playing a vertical game unrotated on a horizontally mounted monitor!

Some bright idea that was... :idea: :roll:
See, that's why you have to get a dedicated 29" tate cab :D so you don't have issues with your neck! After all, your neck is very important! :D :D :D :D
wboy wrote:
WTF.... no 1943 with 2P.... what's wrong with you man.... you living in a CAVE!?!?!
Definitely living in a CAVE :D

This cab is pretty much a Cave dedicated machine - all I've played is DoDonpachi, DoDonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Esp Ra De and Ketsui :D
wboy wrote:
No point showing off my Astro as yours look no different, so here is my Hankin Wonder Boy Cocktail.... original board and also a RaspberryJAMMA hiding within!
Always love seeing other people's Astro City setups, just share away :)

I'm a massive fan of the Hankin cocktail and for you to have an original Wonderboy board, that's just awesome!!
wboy wrote:
In fact I've had more grief with the Astro's Nanao monitor over time.
Get Joey (Jomac) to fix it and you'll be set for years :D