Those running a 25" horizontal monitor....

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Those running a 25" horizontal monitor....

Post by cool_factor » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:30 am

What are your common resolution settings? Seems I've got resolutions either too big, too small and narrow, or the whole screen is filled when I know these games were not full screen (19" monitors). All games are early to late 80s ROMS. Is there a common Rez to try for these? I've noticed in settings that "auto" is the default. I know how to change the Rez, just not sure what the sizes should be. For example, Mr F Lea Adventures is thin/squished and tall, Tac Scan has bottom of screen cut off like the res is to big. Thanks for any suggestions...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Those running a 25" horizontal monitor....

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 am

25 inch or 19 inch doesn't really make any difference, full screen on either will be full screen on both, one is just physically larger than the other. (there may be differences in the amount of overscan between any two different monitors though) You can think of it like blowing up a picture; if you have a pic of 4 squares that is the size of a postage stamp and blow it up to the size of a poster it is still a picture of 4 squares - they're just bigger squares (and probably no longer look as sharp due to the size) on the poster sized version.

Are you mainly having issues with rotated games running in AdvanceMAME? Depending on the original resolution there may be some video options available in AdvMAMEs video menu that can adjust certain resolutions more to your liking. In the case of "The amazing adventures of F Lea" (took awhile to find that one) selecting 344x258 (with the system running in 480i for rotated games) made it much wider and a quick save to this game or save for this game size will save your changes. There's no automated way to do this unfortunately so games running uncommon resolutions like F Lea does (256x248)often look odd with the default settings in AdvMAME.

One way around this issue is to use Retroarch based emulators for rotated games as you can force all rotated games into one resolution.

For Tac/Scan (I have it in MAME 172) I can make it display the top and bottom of the screen properly using command line switches but not from the menu (for some reason the 172 menu doesn't display any text at all on this game), I will have to make an edit to the launcher and upload my changes. Tac/Scan needs both -keepaspect and -unevenstretch command line options. What other vector games were vertical? I'm guessing they will have the same issue.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:52 am

Thanks Dee2er, I'll try those settings and wait for your revised changes...

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:41 pm

How do I put in those settings for Tac Scan, I still havent figure it out... Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 am

Sorry, I had forgotten about this one.

Tac/Scan can be fixed using this launcher for mame172. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AkdmD ... E4oHxK2eaa (not sure if anything else may be effected, the changes should be only effecting vector games.

You will still have a problem if you don't have analog controls as there's no text in the MAME menu to be able to change the control settings (maybe you can do it blind but I wouldn't think so).

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 pm

That file worked, I can see the whole game now, just cant play it now. I do not have a spinner yet. Is there a way to change to joystick use? If not, time to get a spinner, whats recommended? Also, trackball for other games needed. Thanks!!