RaspberryJAMMA fried? HELP!

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

VeryApe121
Community Member
Community Member

RaspberryJAMMA fried? HELP!

Post by VeryApe121 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:46 am

So I have my RaspberrryJAMMA for a few weeks now, been testing versions of ArPiCade, ROM sets and the different emulators. MAME only.

So today, I pulled the board from my cab, a Dynamo, to pull the SD card and load some ROMs. I've done this many times over the last few weeks, accessing it via the flip-down control panel and using a flashlight. Somehow when I hooked it back up this evening, I offset the JAMMA harness onto the board, missing the 6 pins that are separated by the gap. Of course I didn't notice, and powered on. :oops: :oops:

Well...blank screen. :cry: Pulled the board, realized my mistake, put it back in correctly...blank screen. :cry:

The Pi was getting both the red, and blinking green LED, so I figured the SD card was fried. Pulled the whole thing, hooked up a network cable and USB to the Pi and I was able to SSH to it and log in no problem.
So...the Pi gets power from JAMMA, as it did before, and also get power via USB, as it did before. I found maybe 2 threads where people had blown the 1A fuse on the RaspberryJAMMA board, so I checked there for continuity. Fuse shows good.

Now I'm baffled. Is it possible I fried the HDMI/Video adapter? I'm not sure what else I can check on the board itself. I wanted to get a post up before I reimaged the SD card just to get thoughts. I probably won't be able to try much else tonight since it is 10PM, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know i have a 40-pin cable somewhere in my bin of stuff, so I'm going to try that before bed. If that doesn't work, I plan to reimage the card tomorrow, during work of course, and see what happens. Other than that, I'm out of ideas...... :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry:

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: RaspberryJAMMA fried? HELP!

Post by dee2eR » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:56 am

It's possible the DAC has fried, or some other part of the RaspberryJAMMA video section. Hard to say for sure without checking it out.

It will all depend what parts connected to what voltage when you plugged it in wrong. I am having trouble imaging how you plugged it but it sounds like you may have attached the video output to the power supply. - maybe I'm wrong though as most JAMMA connectors wouldn't let you plug in in like that. If you could show me exactly how it was plugged in (don't turn it on this time though) I can probably recommend what else to try.

On the plus side it is all fixable. We just have to figure out what broke.

It is probably worth trying the DAC into a VGA monitor if you can as it is the easiest bit to remove and test on other hardware.

VeryApe121
Community Member
Community Member

Post by VeryApe121 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Yeah, you are absolutely right, I should not have been able to do this...but somehow, stupid finds a way. I felt one side push down when I did it. Just replicated it and took these pictures.

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to embed these images, so hopefully you can view them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gSdQ-t ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g7yVcg ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gKhIdq ... sp=sharing

Forgot to mention, I'm going to try and hook it into an LCD once I get off of work for the day.

VeryApe121
Community Member
Community Member

Post by VeryApe121 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:49 pm

Ok, so I got around to checking out the board by connecting directly to the DAC with a VGA cable to monitor. No signal there, video below.

I then connected an HDMI cable to the Pi, ran that to the monitor and got a signal. Videos of both linked below.

So, it looks like the DAC is fired, or something between the DAC and the JAMMA connector on the board is fried. What would your thoughts be and what would my options be? If need be, I can purchase just the DAC from you. Not sure what else on the board I can test since the fuse seems to be fine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iUUrf_ ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iRGpXC ... sp=sharing

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:29 am

Sounds like the Pi is fine and the DAC is dead. Hard to say if any of the other parts in the video section of the RaspberryJAMMA were damaged.

I'm happy to supply a replacement DAC, assuming nothing else is damaged it should be all you need to get it going again.

Or if you like I'm happy to take a look at the whole board for you and fix anything that maybe dead on it. Or both... I can always supply you a DAC and if that doesn't fix it all up you could send it to me to look at.

Probably best to contact me via PM or email to organise it no matter how you want to proceed.

VeryApe121
Community Member
Community Member

Post by VeryApe121 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:27 pm

PM sent.

MikeH482
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MikeH482 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:51 pm

I have the same problem, but not sure how it happened. My ArPiCade was on the other day working normally for about an hour, not being played, and then I noticed the screen had gone blank. Monitor is fine (tested with a 60-in-1 board I had around), Pi is fine, and JAMMA controls are all working normally... Just no picture or sound. I suspect the DAC failed, I will test it with a VGA monitor direct connection this evening to confirm. Guessing I'll need a replacement DAC. What is the process for getting a replacement? Can HighScoreSaves send me one since they are here in the USA? Let me know. Thanks. Sending PM to @dee2eR

MikeH482
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MikeH482 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:44 pm

UPDATE: It turned out the DAC went bad. Tested this by bypassing the ArPiCade board's video connection and connecting the Pi directly to an HDMI monitor and it would display fine, then tested using the DAC into a VGA monitor would display nothing. I suspect that the 5volts on my switching power supply was set just slightly too high (around 5.3v) and the DAC is sensitive to that. Got a replacement DAC from HighScoreSaves here in the States, swapped it out and connected the new DAC back to the ArPiCade board, and lowered the voltage on the power supply to 5.1v and now everything is working great.