ArPicade in an MVS cabinet

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

incrediblehark
Community Member
Community Member

ArPicade in an MVS cabinet

Post by incrediblehark » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:47 pm

I was wondering if there was any way to get stereo sound through the jamma edge of the raspberry jamma adapter? I’m using this through a JNX jamma to MVS adapter into my MVS wired cabinet. I get sound fine but it is mono only, and would like to get stereo sound if possible. Has anyone else connected their arpicade setups through an Mvs cab and able to get stereo sound?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: ArPicade in an MVS cabinet

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 am

You would need to get the stereo signal out of the DAC rather than run it through the mono JAMMA edge. I hadn't thought to do that before but there is a stereo input header on the JNX Big Red (possibly not on the very first version as seen here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... d-adapter/ ). Just checked on my own Big Red and it has the stereo input header (at least I assume that is what it is) but it is unlabeled.

Looks like there's jumpers on the Big Red for the configuration and I would assume you will also need a stereo amp between the DAC and Big Red as the Big Red has no amp. I'd assume JNX has some documentation about it, unfortunately if I got any with the Big Red I've lost it now, can't remember it coming with anything though.

Please post anything you find on this, I'm curious now.

incrediblehark
Community Member
Community Member

Post by incrediblehark » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks for the reply! A lot of good info there, I do have a big red and I have the stereo header you mention (I think) I have one that goes to the speakers and one that goes to the headphone jack on the front of the cab. I know on the jnx you need to remove the jumpers for stereo, and I have the connector on the jnx for the header so I’ll have to see if I can mess around with it some more. Not sure of where to find the jumpers in the big red cab but I’ll look tonight when I get home and see what I can find for documentation. If I go through the DAC for stereo will that be auto detected in arpicade or will I need to do some configuration?

Edit: just thinking I assume on the jnx the stereo is output through the connector but is probably sourced from the jamma edge, it would be a stereo jamma board. I would have to directly wire the audio from the dac to the connector or corresponding jamma pins or directly to the speakers? These are all just assumptions at this point. I’ll see what I can find out.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 pm

When I was saying Big Red earlier I was referring to the JNX Big Red (not the cab). I don't think there'l be jumpers you need to worry about in the cab.

When using the RaspberryJAMMA, the stereo sound produced by the RPi & ARpiCADE software is combined into mono in hardware prior to amplification. No adjustments are needed to the software if you grab the stereo source out of the DAC, it should be in stereo already (although in practical terms a lot of games are in mono anyway...).

I think all you will need is a small stereo amp to use between the RapberryJAMMAs DAC and the JNX Big Red. From that stereo amp the amplified signal would go into the JNX Big Red via the 4 pin header on it. You shouldn't need to do anything else as long as the jumpers on the JNX are correct for stereo sound. I don't know the pinout for the 4 pin header on the JNX, best to check any documentation from JNX for that.

incrediblehark
Community Member
Community Member

Post by incrediblehark » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Ah ok thanks for the clarification. That might be where I was going wrong, I thought my speakers connected to that 4 pin header, as a stereo out, not in. I’ll give it a shot

incrediblehark
Community Member
Community Member

Post by incrediblehark » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:47 am

Well, i got it all hooked up and it works perfectly! The 4 pin header on the jnx big red adapter is the same as the neo geo pinout, so I took an old floppy drive power cable and connected it to a small amp to get stereo sound! Thanks dee2er for the advice and info on this.