New Raspberry Pi 4

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

shaikoten
Community Member
Community Member

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4

Post by shaikoten » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Great news dee2er!

Has anyone in here who's been messing with the Pi 4 outside of the context of arpicade know if the added processing power will help with the performance of some newer titles? In particular I'm curious about the ever-elusive CAVE ROMs released after the year 2000.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:59 pm

I don't think you'll get perfectly timed sh3 cave shmups working on the pi4 or any other system at present.

I run them perfectly in my groovymame setup, problem is, they run too perfectly! There's no slowdown at all when it's supposed to "slow down".

DC/Naomi and 3D emulation running @ 60fps would be awesome

MarkOZLAD
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MarkOZLAD » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:22 am

> There's no slowdown at all when it's supposed to "slow down".

Makes me smile when the emulator is too good.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:47 pm

I keep visiting ... hoping to see an update ...

;)
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

Barbe
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Barbe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:08 am

FrizzleFried wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:47 pm

;)
Me too... :lol:

EstenzE
Community Member
Community Member

Post by EstenzE » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:07 pm

FrizzleFried wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:47 pm

;)
Same Here

MarkOZLAD
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MarkOZLAD » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:29 pm

I guarantee dee2er would love to bring you some updates

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:10 am

Damn straight @MarkOZLAD.

I'm actually considering releasing a Pi4 only not actually ARpiCADE but a stop gap image. Would be no where near as nice as ARpiCADE but would at least give Pi4 users something to use. If this interests people let me know, the software would be running in X11 rather than the terminal as a partial workaround to the video driver issues. Performance from MAME 0.206 isn't too bad in X11 on Pi4, although it would be better to run without the overhead of X11.

Sorry to disapoint those who are waiting for ARpiCADE for Pi4. As it stands the software support for Pi4 is not nearly as good as for other Pis, it should improve with time. This isn't just an ARpiCADE thing, even RetroPie hasn't done a Pi4 release yet and they have both a team and no low res requirements. ARpiCADE that works on Pi4 will have to wait until the hardware accelerated video driver can actually do low res without changing to a higher resolution part way through booting. There's not much I can do about it as I'm not skilled enough to fix or write a video driver.

I may even release another Pi2 and 3 version of ARpiCADE before Pi4 is supported. I have added Commodore 64 to 3.84 and was going to add Amiga as well before Pi4 dropped and I got distracted by it. I had hit issues with Amiga but they may have been bios related or something, I never had an Amiga so I probably messed up the setup... (lots of bios versions and OS variations on Amiga)

buverman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by buverman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:59 pm

This is def not a RPi4 specific request but do you think you can bring in the runahead modes found on retroarch on the arpicade hardware. For Consoles upto SNES (not the special chips) and fBneo, the games are a lot snappier in retropie-hdmi, I am thinking it could be amazing for the arpicade platform. Ofcourse just a request which might no be worth your while, just through some ideas given the runahead is quite awesome.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:10 am

If runahead is built into Retroarch it should already be there, probably just needs switching on. I'll try to look at it at some point.