No Buttons on Jamma

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: No Buttons on Jamma

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:41 am

No those 2 pins headers are just in case you want to hook up the hard reset button. Keep them empty unless you want to solder to the Pis 'run' header location.

This is a headscratcher. As you say, it is likely to be something simple... I'm just not sure what to suggest currently.

martymoose
Community Member
Community Member

Post by martymoose » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:59 am

do you have a test rig?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:42 am

sure do, although it's basically just the contents of a JAMMA cab on a bench and a multimeter.

I'd be very happy to test it all for you if you send it to me. I am in Australia though, you may prefer to keep troubleshooting it yourself for now.

I'm leaning towards it being something cabside as I test every input before sending any board out (but that doesn't mean it couldn't be the board). If you have 3 pin micro switches in your buttons it may be worth checking which pins you have connected as some boards will work with them connected either NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed), other boards including the RaspberryJAMMA won't (you'l want them wired to NO - they probably are already...). I once accidentally ordered a largish lot of very high quality but NC only micro switches not fully reading the ad, they were a great price but I think I've only used one of them in 2 years as they're not useful for arcade stuff (the reason I bought them in the first place).

You could also try grounding the inputs directly at the JAMMA edge/connector to test them without the joysticks, buttons or wiring being involved to rule out anything cabside. If you do this reference a JAMMA diagram for which pins are which inputs and be very careful not to cause a short circut anywhere you shouldn't, joy/button input to ground is OK but don't connect ground to anything else. If you feel at all nervous about trying this probably don't try it, just to be safe.

martymoose
Community Member
Community Member

Post by martymoose » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:17 am

Mate I'm in brizz
Just going out to change over a jamma board going to try in his machine
I'll let you know

Just sent a pm

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:26 am

responded.

I'll be curious to find out what is happening.