Rockchip C+ board

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

Macs
Community Member
Community Member

Rockchip C+ board

Post by Macs » Fri May 06, 2022 5:37 am

Wondering if raspberryJamma and arpicade image could be adapted for this board:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspb ... s-revealed

The form factor is the same as a raspberry but seems more powerful

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Rockchip C+ board

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 09, 2022 12:58 am

Maybe.

The hardware should be compatible. Mayvbe the fuse would need an upgrade (it's a 2.5A fuse at the moment) as that board would want 3A (or 5A with a SSD), 2.5A may work OK without a SSD.

The software may be tricky however. I would need to have a go at it to know more but depending on the level of drivers/documentation/ etc. it could be very easy to entirely not straightforward at all to 'port' ARpiCADE. The RPi has the biggest userbase and most active community working on it of all the small form factor boards, in the past 'more powerful' Pi alternates were not as good to use as RPis due to being let down by their drivers/software support.

Looks like the results (assuming it's possible) with this new board would likely be similar to RPi4, although not all the cores are similar... (I'm not sure offhand about the A72 / A53 practical differences) I've never worked on something with 2 different sets of CPUs, could be interesting... I also don't have much experience with the Mali GPU, that would need to be able to do the plethora of low resolutions/refresh rates we use (and have video drivers that work right and don't have a mind of their own... I'm looking at you Pi4).

That said, I'm not ruling out moving to another platform at some point.