Raspberry Pi 5 been announced today

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

Doosh
Community Member
Community Member

Raspberry Pi 5 been announced today

Post by Doosh » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:40 pm

Though I let the forum know that Raspberry Pi 5 has been announced today. Link to the news:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/live/ ... i-5-launch

Hopefully in the near future, RaspberryJAMMA will support the Pi 5

👍

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 been announced today

Post by dee2eR » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:13 pm

I pre-ordered just after the other thread was started about it in the support section. Twice as fast as Pi4 (I think that's the claim, I haven't read much yet) makes it sound pretty good.

New video chip though so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully if they're good they arn't hard to buy like Pi3 and Pi4.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:45 pm

...was coming here to post this. Just saw a review ... the Pi5 looks very very interesting, indeed...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:25 am

It *should* be a MAME beast if the specs are as reported... and there's no other surprises, hopefully the new video chip can do low res output.

Unfortunately it has already been delayed multiple months... looks like end of Jan 2024 at the moment.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:12 am

I realised it was only my pre-order that has been delayed multiple times... currently until February... so I've ordered another from a different supplier and should hopefully have it later this week.

GREAT pre-order system there Element14, I'm real impressed. Some lucky people got their pre-orders shipped in October, probably through different suppliers.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:18 pm

So far so good...
After an evening with the Pi5, Attract-Mode, MAME 172 and 251, Flycast (and Retroarch), Supermodel (model 3), DonutDodo all seem to run happily on Pi5.

It seems both 240p and 480i are possible, although it works differently than previous Pis so all the on the fly res switching needs to be redone and may not be as elaborate as on older Pis/ARpiCADE 3.X (at least any time soon). At the moment I'll consider it a win to have scripted switching 240p to 480i and back and forth.

GPIO inputs seem to work, at least as far as I've tried - I've only done keyboard emulation so far.

I'm enjoying Pi5 a lot more than I did Pi4 (at the start of its life) so far. Hopefully I can have some sort of software out soon but more testing to go yet.

Anyone else got there hands on one yet?

EDIT:
I was a bit excited at the end of last night, the 480i res I was using didn't sync on my PVM when I tried it... 240p is very nice on it though. And on the fly switching should be possible, assuming I can find some more low resolutions that work on CRT.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:35 pm

Exciting... that said, what can the Pi5 run that the Pi4 can't? Will we be able to do CHD MAME games (Blitz, etc?)? Obviously the Dreamcast/NAOMI stuff should run better (moar games)...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

Doosh
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Doosh » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:50 pm

Will a new Raspberry JAMMA hardware Board need to be developed for the Pi 5, if the Pi 5 testing work out well?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:20 am

I haven't had Blitz (or NBA showtime) running well on it yet, I'll try them in the next day or so. Pi5 is good for a load of stuff that didn't run well on earlier Pis: KI and KI2 both run fullspeed in lr-mame-2003-plus (the only 2 games in a 20 year old MAME on Pi5 so far). Almost all PS1 based arcade boards run well in MAME 172, same with most of the Cave SH3 games. I have not yet found a SEGA STV solution. SEGA Model 3 (supermodel) seems good, Model 2 (Windows emulator through Wine and Box86) is a mixed bag. SEGA Naomi 2 should be possible in the future but I havn't had luck compiling the newest Flycast on Pi5 (not many joystick games on Naomi 2 though). MAME 251 seems to run most other titles full speed, at least as far as I've tried, newer MAME again is probably also great but 251 was installable through the apt package manager so I started there.

It's very likely Pi5 stuff will keep improving for a while with video driver updates etc. too, it's very early days (in about an hour from writing this I'll have had one for 13 days). So far I have only had a naked Pi5, no cooling on the chip at all. Also haven't tried overclocking at all. I'll have to pick up the little heatsink fan combo soon. Hopefully the availability of Pi5s (and accessories) gets (and stays) better than recent Pi stock levels.

Hardware wise it shouldn't need a new board, although I think it will need an upgraded ribbon cable. The 28AWG ribbon cable I've been using for years may be causing a power restriction on Pi5... time will tell, I need to try some 22AWG cable. The RJ mini, that doesn't use a ribbon cable, works great with Pi5. IF I end up designing a new RJ board it will be to avoid using a ribbon cable (and to change a couple of chips to easier to get ones). All existing RJ boards should be usable with Pi5 in one way or another... while forcing everyone to buy another RaspberryJAMMA board would be good for my pocket it wouldn't be good for the rest of the planet...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:48 am

Quick $8 Pi5 cooler review. Tested on a 30degree C day, at less than that temp in my office. Stock Pi5 clock speeds were used, I'm still yet to try overclocking.

The cooler is tiny and looks and feels cheap, but it is cheap so that's fine. The aluminium heatsink part is not particulaly substantial, the heatsink directly on the processor stack is just flat aluminium about 2 - 3 mm thick, the only fins are on top of the power section and WiFi section of the Pi5. The heatsink part has pre-applied thermal contact pads in 3 locations (main chip, power and WiFi). The blower fan is very quiet, with the fan header on the RPi5 PWM is automatic too - the fan is tiny, I'm surprised at how quiet it is. Results are impresive, the entire Pi5 is much cooler (naked the whole thing heats up a lot). Highly recommended, possibly even essential for back powering via ribbon cable as it keeps the cable heatsoak under control (and therefore resistance at a minimum).

Weirdly I think power use overall is down with the blower fan attached, probably due to the heat raising resistance on a naked board. Or I'm just imagining it - I'm going by memory of the display on my bench power supply... The 2 plastic push pins that hold it on don't look like they'l survive a lot of unmounting/remounting so I'm not going to try back to back testing with/without the heatsink.

For the extra AU$8 (and change) definately pick up the official active cooler if you buy a Pi5. Can't say if it has any performance improvement but if nothing else it should make the Pi last longer and be more reliable.