VGA monitor set-up

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: VGA monitor set-up

Post by triggerhappy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks dee2er! That's very encouraging to hear. I will definitely post an update to let you know how things play out.

FYI, when you order an ARpiCADE from highscoresaves, they have a configurator that gives you the option to select monitor type. I chose 'VGA (LCD/LED Monitor', which interestingly has a $10 USD upcharge. I'm not clear on whether that is simply a 'service charge' for software customization, or if a physical VGA connector is included (or both).

As I explained in my last post, I don't need a physical VGA connector, but I did go ahead and pay the modest premium for the peace of mind that it will (hopefully) work for me out-of-the-box. Guess I'll find out when my ARpiCADE arrives :|.

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: VGA monitor set-up

Post by triggerhappy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Just wanted to update this thread to let you know I did confirm that VGA video (480p) works over my JAMMA composite sync pinout setup, so I'm in business.

Side note re. the up-charge I paid to highscoresaves to pre-configure VGA output...

Upon receiving my order, I discovered that the aforementioned configuration option simply means that the HDMI-to-VGA adapter that ships with the ARpiCADE is left disconnected from the RGB connector on the ARpiCADE board, such that the monitor can be connected to the video out from the Raspberry Pi. Why choosing to leave the VGA adaptor unplugged vs. plugged into the RGB port costs an additional $10 USD is somewhat 'interesting' and as it turns out unnecessary for my purposes, as I ended up having to plug the VGA adapter back into the RGB port anyway for the video to output via composite sync.

In any case, that's just a tiny gripe. I'm just excited that the video works the way I hoped. Looking forward to enjoying my new ARpiCADE!