No display/static

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

SeveredOblivion
Community Member
Community Member

No display/static

Post by SeveredOblivion » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:15 am

Hello All,

I got my ArPiCade kit today. I rushed downstairs, wired it up, hit the power switch and bam, static screen. It's like the image is smashed and distorted. I have a Pi 3 running my own image(don't judge lol) into an old POW cabinet with a 19" CRT. I have independently confirmed the arcade components are working through use of other PCBs and my Pi was running smoothly before and even after the APC kit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ugTmtT4

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: No display/static

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 am

Not sure what's going on there. Definitely doesn't look right in the picture you posted. I can't think of what may be going wrong there.

When you say you received the kit, what parts did you get? Was supplied with Pi already installed? Software?
When you say you wired it up exactly what did you do?

Did you do any adjustments on the monitor chassis? Sometimes the v-sync will need slight adjusting from board to board (although that's not what the screen looks like is the problem).

Anything else you can tell me that may help me have some idea what's going on? Not even sure what to ask on this one. Not knowing what's going on it could be software related or hardware related, I'm sure with some more info we can get somewhere though.

SeveredOblivion
Community Member
Community Member

Post by SeveredOblivion » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:43 am

I ordered just the Jamma board adapter itself and some pcb feet. I have my own Pi 3 running RetroPie v4.4.
I opened the package, and immediately installed the pi to the board. Didn't change anything. I did take the reset pins out for the time being. When I get home this afternoon I can take a few pictures. I'm at a loss myself.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am

is it Retropie running in it or ARpiCADE? If it's Retropie did you do anything to set it up low res?

SeveredOblivion
Community Member
Community Member

Post by SeveredOblivion » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Retropie and no I didn't not modify any settings except for overclocking.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:48 pm

That will probably be the issue then. The system is trying to run in high res (actually probably hi-def) as that is what RetroPie is set up for by default. You could set RetroPie to run at 480i (last I checked the frontend they used didn't like 240p) but I would strongly recommend downloading and using ARpiCADE 3.82. ARpiCADE is made for cab use, RetroPie is aimed at a modern HD TV.

If for some reason you very much do not want to use ARpiCADE I would recommend the Recalbox for RaspberryJAMMA which can be found on this forum too (not by me but it is already set up for cab use). Otherwise if you're determined to use RetroPie it will be possible but you will need to (at minimum) set the resolution to a low res (prob 480i for RetroPie) and set up the GPIO joystick driver (I think the driver itself is already installed on RetroPie).

SeveredOblivion
Community Member
Community Member

Post by SeveredOblivion » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:21 pm

I will definitely give it a try tonight. Will all of my roms/ front end transfer or will I have to rebuild from scratch? I ask because I'm currently set up to run MAME and the old cartridge consoles roms and I'd prefer to keep it that way if at all possible. Thank you for your help thus far I appreciate it.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:39 pm

they should transfer over just fine, although the folder structures of the 2 builds are different so be aware of that. The console roms will also probably need to be unzipped for ARpiCADE.

SeveredOblivion
Community Member
Community Member

Post by SeveredOblivion » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:46 pm

After trying to set RetroPie into 480p, 480i and even to force a 620x480 resolution it was still not running. So I flashed ARpiCADE over last night and fired it up. I had nearly 0 issues just a slight shake on the image which I attribute to the monitor. Thanks for your help. I'll migrate all my roms tonight and it seems like all is well. I appreciate the help.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Glad you have it going now.

When you have your roms sorted you can turn off the rom scanning at startup to speed up booting in the file /boot/run.sh. With a lot of games it can take a lot longer to startup scanning the roms every time.