Strange hardware with Arpicade?

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

BluuShifT
Community Member
Community Member

Strange hardware with Arpicade?

Post by BluuShifT » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:43 am

I was installing one of your units per a service request for a local teen center, It works remarkably well, and I have to commend you for a solid product, but I'm dealing with something of an abnormality. The teen center had an unused X-Men cab in the back which had a normal jamma slot and coin exchance plug, however, the jamma slot only allowed input from one button and one stick(not counting the internal settings menu button.) There are 3 additional plugs for the other controllers, but I noticed the board had no spots to connect them. Can you folks help me with this? Is there some i/o hat or coupler I can use(maybe even rewiring the empty spots on the jamma harness)?
Links to X-men machine(google images because I still have a dumbphone):
https://archive.org/details/x-men4playe ... l/page/n15
https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/x ... layer.html
https://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpr ... .jpg?w=450

BONUS QUESTION: I'm leaving this in the custody of someone I can only describe as mainly tech-illiterate, Is there any way I can make it safe for him to shut it down? I tried turning off the industrial-size powerstrip he uses and turning it back on again, and the boot scroll said something worrying about corruption, however it was too fast for me to read.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Strange hardware with Arpicade?

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:27 am

The RaspberryJAMMA 4Player Adaptor should do exactly what you need. RaspberryJAMMA with the 4 player add on is a direct plug in for Konami 4 player cabs.

Both players 1 and 2 should be on the JAMMA edge so it's very likely the XMen cab was unused because it needs some new buttons/switches or something else too.

As long as you return to the game selection menu before turning off your cab you shouldn't have to worry too much about SD card corruption (assuming a good SD card is used and not a poor quality knockoff). You can set the system up to power down with a button combo if you like (pretty sure it can be done from the Attract-Mode menu - oitherwise it would be easy to make the system shutdown if you exit the menu using run.sh), generally just switching off the cab should be OK as long as the system is not trying to write to the card at the time. Just in case if you have a backup image of the SD card it's an easy restore should something go bad.

Are you using a RPi2? There shouldn't be any visible boot scroll text generally but it does show up on Pi2 (as they're older now I haven't worried about chasing it up). If you're seeing it on any Pi3 variant I'm curious as to why.

BluuShifT
Community Member
Community Member

Post by BluuShifT » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:17 pm

I do use an RPI 3, with a PNY sd card. I think what caused the error was him trying to turn the machine off while it was playing the attract screen for turtles in time. Just a suggestion, but for smaller games, you should cache them in the ram so the SD card dosen't have to read/write constantly, as for the 4 player hat, I'll look into it, thank you! (would repeated corruption actually ruin the SD card, or would it behave when I re-flashed it?)
(also, could I have some pics of the 4-player adapter? this forumpost has images locked to members only https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread ... -AVAILABLE!)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 am

It may be the SD card itself that is the issue. Although I haven't heard one way or another about PNY cards, I have heard of some people having issues with some types of SD cards. If you have another that you can try you may find it is more stable.

Here's a couple of pics of the 4 player adaptor (I'm really surprised I haven't put any on this site already...):
4playeradaptor.JPG
4playeradaptor.JPG (72.79 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
4playerpanelandRJ.JPG
4playerpanelandRJ.JPG (115.87 KiB) Viewed 4977 times

BluuShifT
Community Member
Community Member

Post by BluuShifT » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:32 pm

Sweet!, Where's a link to buy it?

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor