picture shifting on screen with each rom

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

Mosdef
Community Member
Community Member

picture shifting on screen with each rom

Post by Mosdef » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 am

Hi dee2eR, I'm having a ball with my New RaspberryJamma, but when I play different games on my Viper cab with O.G CRT low res 15k the games has picture shifting (could be to the left, could be to the right, up, or down cutting out some of the game graphics per each game) and I have to manually adjust on the back of my cab to suit every game every time I switch roms, which can be frustrating.
Is there a selection in the Pi software where it can almost be auto'ed per game to suit my 31" screen or will I have to do this every time per different game. Or is it because I may be using a ntsc rom or eur???...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: picture shifting on screen with each rom

Post by dee2eR » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:16 am

It's actually because the many many arcade systems being emulated by MAME run in a lot of varying resolutions. Eg. Street Fighter (and all other CPS games for that matter) run a resolution of 384x224, Mortal Kombat runs 400x254 at a slightly lower refresh rate (more info slower so same-ish bandwidth while using 30 more scan lines) and on the dedicated cabs both images are displayed full screen on a 4x3 screen by adjusting the monitor.

Unfortunately running many different games using a lot of different resolutions you may need to find a compromise monitor setting to avoid all the adjustments. Long term I'd like to improve the resolution switching too, it may be possible to improve this aspect a bit and I have a couple of ideas I need to find time to try...

One idea I doubt will appeal is you could make multiple SD cards of games that run the same (or close enough) resolutions so you would only need to adjust the monitor at power up for that set of games.

Those 31inch Viper cabs are beasts... soo big.