Low Resolution & Text/Flicker Question

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

JohnnyArcade
Community Member
Community Member

Low Resolution & Text/Flicker Question

Post by JohnnyArcade » Sat May 04, 2019 4:12 am

I have my ArPiCADE (sfw v3.83) connected to WG 4900 CRT (arcade monitor) vertically mounted via JAMMA.

In the service menu when I set the resolution to "low resolution vertical" my menu text (via tab) look good, but I have a flicker to the screen. Most noticeable on straight lines like a border.

When I change the resolution to "progressive scan only low res" the flicker goes away, but the text in the menus (via tab) is almost unreadable (like missing half the pixels).

This happens on a few different attract modes I have used and shows up in both attract mode and service menu (hit esc from AM screen)

With either resolution option, the games look & play OK (no flicker). But pressing tab in game (mame menu) the text is always way too big and the menu is much wider than my crt. So I can't really use the mame menu in game. This may be a separate issue.

Any ideas?

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: Low Resolution & Text/Flicker Question

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue May 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Flicker = Interlaced mode... likely due to the resolution being higher than the monitor can support in progressive mode.
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 06/27/19)