playing MP4 w/ARpiCADE or RaspberryJamma?

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

KillerCroc
Community Member
Community Member

playing MP4 w/ARpiCADE or RaspberryJamma?

Post by KillerCroc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 am

Weird and a bit OT I know, but...

is there any way to use this setup to play MP4s on my arcade monitor?

Anywhere / directory I could put an MP4 file in and have it play thru with a command/some trick?

Or could I unplug the RaspberryJamma HDMI cord from the Pi and plug it into a media player w/o bad stuff happening?

I've tried "omxplayer" at the command prompt; doesn't work. Any tips welcome. :D

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: playing MP4 w/ARpiCADE or RaspberryJamma?

Post by dee2eR » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 am

I wouldn't recommend plugging random HDMI devices into the RaspberryJAMMA unless you're certain the HDMI device is actually outputting low res (most won't be outputting a low res signal and your monitor will probably not like having a high res or high def signal fed to it).

Attract-Mode can play MP4s, as seen in previews and the screen saver. I'm not sure if A-M uses an external player that could also be used from the command prompt or scripted. It's even possible A-M has a function (or an add-on script) to just play a video file, I'm not sure offhand.

A video player app could certainly be added to ARpiCADE if needed. I haven't thought about it before, no-one's asked for it prior to now.

KillerCroc
Community Member
Community Member

Post by KillerCroc » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 am

Ok - thanks for all your input. I figured as much.

I wanted to take advantage of the fact that I've actually got a CRT, and try to play some old-school TV shows on it in between games (it's horizontally oriented). :D

KillerCroc
Community Member
Community Member

Post by KillerCroc » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:15 am

So, the solution seems to be to install omxplayer.

If anyone can help me with step-by-step, it would be much appreciated. Most online sources give you a command to run, but it assumes your Pi has internet access (mine does not).