Can never get kick harness to work.

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

EstenzE
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Can never get kick harness to work.

Post by EstenzE » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:09 am

where did you get your Arpicade kick harness from? The last few i have ordered from HighScoreSaves have all had bad crimps, only 2 or 3 of the buttons worked. Not sure if he's testing them before he ships them, but in my experience the failure rate has been pretty high.

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:33 am

Moonshine_GFT wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:14 pm
Moonshine_GFT wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 am
hulkk03 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:29 am
I gave up and I end up using JNX Atlas Adapter. It's work very well. Thanks for your time, though!
Hey, would you mind taking a few photos of your JNX atlas Adapter wiring set-up?
Actually, I should elaborate a bit. I've got no idea what I'm doing, and should probably post in the newbie area, but I happen to have a JNX Atlas Adapter as well and am in the same boat as you were - having serious trouble trying to get my Blast City & Arpicade to play nice with buttons 4, 5, & 6. The difference is, I have no experience in arcade wiring, and most of what I've read in forums about this issue goes right over my head :oops:
My bad for late reply. I'm not sure which version did you get for JNX ATLAS Adapter because some of them only support just CP1, sometime it's support both CP1 and CP2 kick harness. Or even support just Mortal Kombat kickharness. Take a picture so I can see which one you have.

For me, my JNX Atlas adapter support both CP1 and CP2 kick harness. I bought this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-arcade-ga ... 2749.l2649

It's the CP2 kick harness wire Im using.

I connect this CP2 kickharness wire into Sega O/I board (Inside Blast city cabinet). Just follow the red line I just drew it:

Hope it help. Let me know your update.

Moonshine_GFT
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Moonshine_GFT » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:24 am

Hey, no worries! I'm just thankful for your help.
This is what I have going on at the moment:
20190826_172913.jpg
20190826_172913.jpg (164.02 KiB) Viewed 5857 times
I believe I have the same JNX Atlas adapter as yourself, but the harness I have, which I thought was cps1, has 10 pin housings on both ends :? . These only fit on the cn5 and cn6 connectors on the JNX Atlas and I/0 board, respectively. Not sure what to make of it.

I'm using the kick harness I got with my Arpicade from highscoresaves.com at the moment, because when I use the standard harness, nothing works. When using the hss.com harness, I have the same problem as you did, in which buttons 4, 5, & 6 only work when holding all three down.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:36 am

You won't want both the RaspberryJAMMA kick harness and JNX Atlas at the same time. They both perform the same function.

When using the JNX Atlas you will want the RJ board set to use 6 buttons on JAMMA (dipswitch 1&2 off, 3&4 on) and use the CPS1 (or CPS2) harness from the Atlus to SEGA IO board. If you have the JNX and your cab is already wired up for either CPS kick harness you may as well set it up this way as there's no need to change any wiring.

If you use the RJ kick harness you need dipswitches 1&2 on, 3&4 off. Using the RJ kick harness only the button signals are carried by the kick harness so the GNDs will need to be attached to the JAMMA GNDs. You may be able to wire the RJ kick harness to the SEGA IO rather than the buttons, but I don't have a cab wired to an extra IO board like that so can't be sure.

On the off chance I installed the dipswitch wrong way around when I built your board dipswitch 1 should be closest to the JAMMA edge. I did have one user point out I installed their dipswitch backwards... if yours is upside down (based on my feedback less than a 1% chance it's upside down) reverse the switch instructions and it should then work normally.

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:34 am

Moonshine_GFT wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:24 am

20190826_172913.jpg

I believe I have the same JNX Atlas adapter as yourself, but the harness I have, which I thought was cps1, has 10 pin housings on both ends :? . These only fit on the cn5 and cn6 connectors on the JNX Atlas and I/0 board, respectively. Not sure what to make of it.

I'm using the kick harness I got with my Arpicade from highscoresaves.com at the moment, because when I use the standard harness, nothing works. When using the hss.com harness, I have the same problem as you did, in which buttons 4, 5, & 6 only work when holding all three down.
You suppose to plug in the CN8, not CN6. CN6 meant for billboard. You have two harness set up and it's doesn't work that way. I seriously think that kickharness where you connect to CN6 right now, does not belong to sega blast city I/O board.

I suggest you to unplug and remove the kickharness (wires from highscoresave.com) completely and use this wire instead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-arcade-ga ... 2749.l2649.

Yes, it's same seller I bought from. Once you got this wire, make sure you hook up this wire to CN6 and to your JNX Altas Adapter. Set the dipswitch to 1&2 OFF and 3&4 ON. Go to your control panel and plug back the last 3 buttons on both players (blast city wires for buttons, not the wires from wires from highscoresave.com). This is exactly what my set up look's like and it's work great.

Let's me know if you still have problem.

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:41 am

hulkk03 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:34 am
Moonshine_GFT wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:24 am

20190826_172913.jpg

You suppose to plug in the CN8, not CN6. CN6 meant for billboard. You have two harness set up and it's doesn't work that way. I seriously think that kickharness where you connect to CN6 right now, does not belong to sega blast city I/O board.

I suggest you to unplug and remove the kickharness (wires from highscoresave.com) completely and use this wire instead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-arcade-ga ... 2749.l2649.

Yes, it's same seller I bought from. Once you got this wire, make sure you hook up this wire to CN6 and to your JNX Altas Adapter. Set the dipswitch to 1&2 OFF and 3&4 ON (in case of not work, do opposite switches for dipswitch). Go to your control panel and plug back the last 3 buttons on both players (blast city wires for buttons, not the wires from wires from highscoresave.com). This is exactly what my set up look's like and it's work great.

Let's me know if you still have problem.

Moonshine_GFT
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Moonshine_GFT » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:10 am

Thanks for the help, dee2er & hulkk03.
I'll order that harness and see how it goes.
I seriously think that kickharness where you connect to CN6 right now, does not belong to sega blast city I/O board.
I live in Japan, and I ordered a "cps1" harness from a local vendor, and this is what they sent me. :?

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:05 am

Moonshine_GFT wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:10 am
Thanks for the help, dee2er & hulkk03.
I'll order that harness and see how it goes.
I seriously think that kickharness where you connect to CN6 right now, does not belong to sega blast city I/O board.
I live in Japan, and I ordered a "cps1" harness from a local vendor, and this is what they sent me. :?
Hmm, I would never guess that would be CPS1 kick harness wire. I didn't realize they actually support CPS1 for blast city (I'm new to blast city too). Can you unplug the wire from CN6 and plug to CN8 instead? This should be able work.

Go to your control panel and plug back the last 3 buttons on both players (blast city control panel wires for buttons, not the wires from wires from highscoresave.com). Yes, unplug and remove the highscoresave.com kick harness wires completely. Leave that wires behind for now.
Don't forget to set the dipswitch to 1&2 OFF and 3&4 ON (in case of not work, do opposite switches for dipswitch). If is still doesn't work? I would mess around with dip switches until it's finally work.

Moonshine_GFT
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Moonshine_GFT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Hey, sorry about the delay. Just received the CPS2 harness you recommended. I wired it up last night, flipped the dip switches, and...was suddenly beset with another riddle. All 6 buttons on P2 worked fine, but the light kick (button 4) on P1 did not work at all on my first try. Took me about 30 mins to realize button 4 was wired up together with b1, b2, & b3, and the connector had just but lying loose in the control panel. For some odd reason b4 refused to work through the kick harness.

Anyway, everything it working swimmingly now, thanks!

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:45 am

Moonshine_GFT wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:06 pm
Hey, sorry about the delay. Just received the CPS2 harness you recommended. I wired it up last night, flipped the dip switches, and...was suddenly beset with another riddle. All 6 buttons on P2 worked fine, but the light kick (button 4) on P1 did not work at all on my first try. Took me about 30 mins to realize button 4 was wired up together with b1, b2, & b3, and the connector had just but lying loose in the control panel. For some odd reason b4 refused to work through the kick harness.

Anyway, everything it working swimmingly now, thanks!
It's does took me to mess around with this thing too until it work. Glad to hear you got it work! Anyway, you welcome and enjoy!!!