Sound no longer working

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Midwaydj
Community Member
Community Member

Sound no longer working

Post by Midwaydj » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:46 pm

Audio out from the 1/8 jack is working through headphones. Everything else is working fine just no sound through the pcb. Tried two different jamma cabinets same issue.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Sound no longer working

Post by dee2eR » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:47 am

Did anything in particular happen or just the audio out didn't work one day?

Sounds like something may have gone wrong in the 12v audio section of the RaspberryJAMMA. The most likely cause of no amplified sound would be the audio amp chip having failed. It's not something I would expect to just happen but maybe the amp chip has died for some reason. Is there any sign of damage on or near the audio amp (8 pin chip near the JAMMA edge)?

Otherwise it could be PCB track damage, or maybe a passive component has failed, or maybe the volume pot if it's taken a knock or something.

It's worth a look at your cabs power supply too, just in case the 12v has gone high and caused the audio section damage. If the power supply is old it could have gone out of spec over time. Of course the problem may not be related to the power, just worth a look.

If it comes to it I'd be very happy to fix the board for you as long as you cover the postage costs.

Midwaydj
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Midwaydj » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:37 pm

I believe I did something to it when I connected it to a jamma cbox supergun. The 12v was running high. I dont see any visible damage to the audio amp. If I could send it to you that would be awesome or if you have any basic troubleshooting steps I could follow that would be cool too. I have a multimeter but I’m no expert.

Midwaydj
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Midwaydj » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Still having audio issues but have since bought a new raspberryjamma. I replaced the 7511 and there is no change.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 am

If the 3.5mm audio out is working through headphones and you have already replaced the amp chip I'm not sure which component will be the issue.

Have you replaced the power supply that was playing up? I'm guessing as you said you have bought another RaspberryJAMMA you have had them both in the cab in question and one is OK?

It basically leaves only PCB track damage or a passive component (eg. a resistor, capacitor or diode) has failed that could be the cause of the issue. Resistors can be checked with a multi meter, they may not measure perfectly when in a circuit but you should be able to tell if they're broken. Same with the diode. Caps are a bit trickier to test...

Sorry I don't have any more specific trouble shooting steps. Still very happy to take a look at it for you though.

Midwaydj
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Midwaydj » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:47 am

Thanks. I will check the resistors and diode and report back. The supergun and power supply I used are no longer in use. I tested in a couple of cabs and issue is def on the board.

jaimeheras
Observer
Observer

Post by jaimeheras » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:22 pm

Hi,
Were you able to fix the sound issue? After a moving the audio of my arcade stop working.
Thanks