New ArPiCade - Problems

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

ScoobyDoo
Community Member
Community Member

New ArPiCade - Problems

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:40 am

Hi.

Just got my ArPiCade on Friday and I'm having some initial problems. Hoping someone can help.

(1) The screen goes black at unexpected times for a few seconds. It has happened while browsing in the game selection menu, during play of a game, during the screen saver, and while browsing the configuration menus. I ordered the ArPiCade from HSS set up for a VGA monitor and it appears it was already set-up for High Res as well. All VGA video connections are tight, as is the connection from the DAC to the Pi. The monitor is a 19" Suzo-Happ Vision Pro LCD that is about a month old. At first I thought I messed this up when I changed some things trying to ensure I was in High Res Mode, but I then re-imaged the card from the back-up I made and it still happens.

(2) There is a faint static-like sound coming through the speakers pretty much all the time. Rather than being constant, it seems more like a pluse - that is, there is a small break between the noises but the duration of the break isn't as long as the noise itself. Again, I think the connections are solid.

(3) Tapper isn't sized correctly; the top half of the game fills the screen and the bottom is cut-off (i.e., the player's scores and two of the four bars he is serving display on the monitor but the bottom two bars are below the bottom of the screen).
Tapper.jpg
Tapper.jpg (214.55 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
(4) Asteroids and Battle Zone aren't sized correctly; the games are too small and cut-off (i.e., the entire display area of these games are between 1/2 and 1/4 the size that they should be and about half of that small display is below the bottom of the screen). Please see attached photos, which show the whole area of the LCD Display.
Asteroids.jpg
Asteroids.jpg (200.7 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
BattleZone.jpg
BattleZone.jpg (223.05 KiB) Viewed 4545 times

The other games I've tried so far have all sized well on the display.

If I can get past these issues, I may have more configuration questions later, but the first two items are of the most concern.

Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: New ArPiCade - Problems

Post by dee2eR » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:15 am

Issue 1 sounds like it may be a DAC issue. I've seen that happen on LCD monitors before when the DAC looses sync for a moment. I'd recommend contacting HSS and asking if they have any replacement DACs they can send you (if not contact me I'd be happy to send you a replacement). If yours is the type of LCD monitor that can also do low res switching to a low res mode may or may not help (I test all the boards using a low res setup).

2. is possibly to do with issue 1, it's also possible if you have anything else connected to the 12v like cab lighting or coin mech you have some electrical noise getting through. If there are other things attached to the 12v you can eliminate that as a possibility by disconnecting them and seeing if it helps. Turning down the volume level from the option in the service menu may also help if there is outside noise getting in (to access the service menu press 'service' in your cab or 'f4' on a keyboard at the game select menu).

3. depending on which version of MAME it's in and the version of ARpiCADE you have it will be either a logic error in the launcher for that version of MAME, or possibly will be adjustable from that MAMEs 'tab' menu while you have the game running. Odd that tapper would be off as the original is 480i as far as I know, the scaling to 480p is as simple as it gets... I'd be happy to look into this further if you have the details I need to do so. It may be worth checking the overscan settings in /boot/config.txt

4. pretty similar answer to 3 really. It may be worth trying all those games in another version of MAME too, it's hard for me to be sure without knowing more.

Sorry for the trouble with the board.

ScoobyDoo
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Left a message for HSS and they called me back very quickly. They suspect it's the DAC as well, but asked me to send back the whole unit so they can properly diagnose it - it really sounds like they want to understand the issue in case it is something they can prevent in the future (although it's likely just a random bad piece of hardware). They emailed a return label and will also check the three games that aren't displaying correctly. I'm impressed with the service from HSS so far!

BTW, it came with v3.84 and I bought the whole plug-n-play package (the JAMMA PCB Adapter, horizontal image with v3.84, and RPi 3B+)

ScoobyDoo
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Got my ArPiCade back from HSS today. They didn't say what they did but here is the result:

Issue 1 - Screen goes black - I haven't played very much but, so far, this hasn't happened again.

Issue 2 - Faint static noise - This is still present. The cabinet is using an arcade power supply (see photo). The marquee light and monitor each have dedicated power supplies that are independent of the arcade power supply. The only wires going to the speaker are the [Speaker +] and [Speaker -] from the JAMMA harness. The only things that seem to be powered from the 12v line on the JAMMA harness are the lights behind the coin slots. I tried just taking out the bulbs since the wires are soldered on, but that didn't fix it. I also used F4 to get to the volume menu and reduced the volume from 86 to 45 but that didn't help either. The volume of the static doesn't increase/decrease when I change the volume through the service menu; however, the volume of the static does increase/decrease with changes to the volume knob on the ArPiCade JAMMA board. That said, if I turn the volume all the way down on the ArPiCade JAMMA board, no matter how high I put the volume in the service menu, I can't hear the games so there has to be some volume on the board.

Issues 3 and 4 - Resolution of certain games - HSS fixed the resolution issues on Asteroids, Battle Zone, and Tapper so each now fits the screen properly.
ArcadePowerSupplyv3.jpg
ArcadePowerSupplyv3.jpg (219.36 KiB) Viewed 4445 times

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:00 pm

I am having the exact cut off images of Asteroids and Battle zone as shown on this post. I am also having some games looking washed out. I ordered the CGA version and running a Wells-Gardner 19" CGA LED/LCD monitor. Any suggestions?

I also need to get my trackball recognized. The trackball works fine with my PC but the ARPICADE doesn't see it right now. I am sure I just need to enable in some location.

I am pretty good with original PCBs but not very experienced with Raspberry Pi.

I can see this is a great set up as soon as I get things going!

Thanks Jay

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:57 am

I tried hooking up direct with HDMI and the washed out video went away so it might be the DAC?? Same issues with Battle zone and Asteroids being cut off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Jay

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Sorry Jay, I missed this as you posted at the bottom of another thread.

Depending on what you've tried so far it could be emulator settings related rather than hardware related. Hardware wise as long as your USB trackball uses standard USB protocols (ie. no custom drivers) it should 'just work'.

Does your trackball work in the menu at all? I think at least up/down on trackball should scroll the menu in most recent ARpiCADE releases (I'm not certain which version you have to be sure).

Also do you happen to be using a usb keyboard/mouse combo as well? If so, it could just be Linux mouse order issues & if you can try without multiple mice it may help.

Some games being washed out sounds like emulator settings rather than a DAC issue. If all content was washed out due to high brightness I'd recommend turning the monitor brightness down, but I don't think that's what you're saying... (I don't think I've seen DAC fail like that before, could be possible though)

If you swapped to high res mode for HDMI out the emulators will be running 480p settings rather than [whatever particular low res is used for that game on a CRT]. If you didn't change settings (some HDMI screens will display a low signal via HDMI) I can't account for the difference but would be curious to hear more.

If all the games you're having the issue with are vector games you may be able to adjust the look a bit depending on which MAME version you have them in. Simulating a vector monitor on a low res raster monitor is always going to look inferior to the real thing though... (but the games are still fun, well most of them...) AdvMAME has lots of settings in its rc files for the look of vector games that may be worth looking at.

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:53 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I am using a Happ 3" trackball with Ultimarc U-Trak USB adapter. If I plug in my laptop, it works fine. If I go to this game options, I can program joystick and all buttons but it doesn't see the trackball.

I just purchase the Arpicade for HSS two weeks ago so it should have recent release.

I tried turning the brightness down and didn't seem to improve things. I didn't change settings as far as the HDMI, just plugged things in.

Gravitar works and looks great. Battle zone and Asteroids is only partial screen.

Thanks for the help.

Jay