Completely confused - Galaga menu

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Birdman
Community Member
Community Member

Completely confused - Galaga menu

Post by Birdman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:23 pm

Hello,

Again a noob here.

My Setup:
1) Sorry, I don't know which file to look at to know what build I have of software, but I just received it a week ago, so I'm pretty sure my ARPICADE build is the most recent
2) I purchased an ARPICADE RASPBERRY PI MULTICADE JAMMA PCB ADAPTOR FOR ARCADE MULTIGAME from HighScoreSaves
3) I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 b+ setup

I am trying to play Galaga and for the life of me I cannot figure out why the joystick keeps jumping me into the menu for the game settings. It isn't even a combo of Joystick and button...I literally press the joystick left and it jumps into the game menu...I cannot play the game. I've completely disabled all keyboard shortcuts in the hotkeys.ini file and it still does this.

Any clue?

BTW....is there a good reference for what keyboard strokes can be used within a game to maybe get to this menu and try to find a way to disable any method to get into the menu?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Completely confused - Galaga menu

Post by dee2eR » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:52 am

That sounds weird, not sure what would cause that. The default combo for the MAME menu is Start+joy right (but won't work if you deleted all the hotkeys), keyboard 'tab' should also work. Is that the menu opening when you press left?

If it's only happening in the one game it could possibly be fixed in that same menu, but it's hard to say not knowing what has happened.

Moving Galaga to a different version of MAME may also 'fix' it, not knowing what has gone wrong.

The basic default hotkey shortcuts and other basic instructions can be found in the USER_GUIDE folder, if you haven't already had a look at them they maybe worth a look too.

Birdman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Birdman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello,

Still completely confused on this one. I completely edited my hotkeys.ini so it looks like this:
# Hotkeys config file
# Only player 1 controls can be used at this time
# To disable a shortcut delete the line, do not comment it out
# Limited joystick axis support as follows
# Joystick down = Y1, joystick right = X1, NO SUPPORT FOR UP OR LEFT
# JAMMA buttons map to Xbox button names as follows
# B1 = A, B2 = B, B3 = BLACK, B4 = Y, B5 = X, B6 = WHITE, Start = START
#examples of other options available
# add a coin 2 shortcut
# START+B=key:KEY_6
# use P1 Start + Button 3 to exit emulators
# START+BLACK=key:KEY_ESC
############################DEFAULT ###################
#[ui-axismap]
#START+X1=key:KEY_TAB
#START+Y1=key:KEY_P
#
#[ui-buttonmap]
#START=BTN_START:KEY_ESC:1500
#START+A=key:KEY_5
#START+WHITE=key:KEY_F1
#######################################################
# EOF #

Still, when I jump into Galaga, when I push the stick to the right, a game option menu pops up. Problem is that there doesn't seem to be an option in this menu to stop making the menu appear on a right shift of the joystick.

Does anyone know the keyboard strokes that could typically used to get into a menu during a game? If I could pilot around with the keyboard, maybe I can figure this out.

I even tried copying over the original ROMs from my backup disk to try and default the Galaga games and I still have this problem.

I didn't push the games to a different MAME folder yet, but this is a very strange issue. By default, these ROMS are in the MAME72 folder

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:05 pm

tab is the default key to open MAMEs menus

Birdman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Birdman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check back in and close this one out. I could not, for the life of me, figure out what changed in the settings that kept having the joystick jump into the game menu.

So, I punted, and re-imaged my micro-SD card back to its original state and all is working fine again....Something in the game settings was definitely messed up. As I said, I even tried to just put the default ROM data on the card, but that didn't work either. Only going back and re-imaging my card fixed the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help!
~Birdman