Mame menus not displaying...

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Matt68061
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Mame menus not displaying...

Post by Matt68061 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:29 pm

So during some quality quarantine time I am playing around with my Arpi for the first time in a long time. Setting up a new cabinet for a friend. LCD monitor via VGA...But believe it is the same displaying CRT thru the jamma harness.

I believe this is a 3.83 image and Mame172 if not mistaken.

When I tab into a game menu to edit settings like controls, volume, video view, etc... all the choices are “transparent.” Seems this was discussed before but can’t locate it....and may have been in a different forum?

Any fix/workaround for this?

Thanks,
Matt

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Mame menus not displaying...

Post by dee2eR » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:18 am

By the choices are transparent do you mean you cannot see some or all of the text? If so the issue is somehow related to the font size and the original game resolution, the work around is to use a larger font with MAME for those titles. You may find if you try using 3.84 or 3.9 the changes have been made. You could check /boot/launchers/mame172.sh, I cannot remember 3.83 specifically... it may have some games using the larger font but incomplete logic or similar... (sorry, it's been ages since 3.83)

Depending on what you're trying to do launching a different game may make the menus more readable. Probably not useful advice if you're trying to edit one particular games settings...

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Sk8ersublime » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 pm

i have the same issue, the blue box comes up when hitting TAB, but there are no options shown in the box to select.

canussie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by canussie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:05 am

I am seeing a similar issue, please find attached screen shot.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bcxoJ5 ... sp=sharing

Use arpicade 3.84, mame version 172, attempting to change the dipswitch settings to cocktail so I can flip the screen with games like donkey kong.