3.71 sync issues on certain games.

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

J67ab
Community Member
Community Member

3.71 sync issues on certain games.

Post by J67ab » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:25 am

Horizontal hold / sync issues on games such as Moon patrol, Mortal combat and NBA jam across different emulators, started after upgrading to 3.71. Any ideas?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: 3.71 sync issues on certain games.

Post by dee2eR » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:06 am

sounds like the problem would have to do with the 256 line/56hz resoluton being used. Do you also have this issue with games running in the 50hz/288 line mode? These modes weren't being used prior to 3.71 so that's probably why it hasn't happened to you before.

I haven't seen it myself or heard of anyone else having this issue so it may be a very slight tweak on the sync pot of your chassis finds a setting that works for all the different resolutions being used. I'm quite interested to find out whats happening here as this is the first resolution switching issue I'm aware of, what monitor are you using?

cathaldub
Community Member
Community Member

Post by cathaldub » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:25 am

I'm actually having that as well, on RType, MK and a couple others too, I'm on a 15Khz monitor. I'll try tweak my pot later on :oops:
I was wondering was it possible to create romname.ini files with custom resolutions in them like on windows to get around this?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 am

Windows custom modeline stuff won't work on Pi, the video out switching is handled by the launchers, ini files won't do anything at all. If it turns out the 256 lines mode doesn't work well for your monitor the easiest way to fix it would be remove the mode from the launchers. Alternatly you could edit /boot/roms/launchers/mameinfo.txt and adjust the numbers for particular games but it would have to be done for each game rather than each emulator.

Please report back the results of adjusting the sync, hopefully this isn't a surprising new bug.

Can anyone else report one way or another on this issue?

jfvary
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jfvary » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:35 am

I've upgraded to 3.71 yesterday and I got a similar issue with MK and MK2, but not identical as in the OP. The game was not displaying full screen, but 2/3 of the screen. I will post a picture tonight.

Thanks for your support!

J67ab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by J67ab » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:18 pm

I'll tweak the sync por on the WG 7400 25" and advise. Thanks!

J67ab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by J67ab » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:59 am

Tweaking the pot worked. Buuut the MCombat games and NBA jam are only on a 2/3 square of the rectangular screen from the left side as the other poster advised.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 am

I'm not seeing the issue at my end. I'll do a fresh install and see if I missed something. Are you just running a default setup or otherwise? I only checked the default settings maybe changing to another setup is part of the issue... Also which emulator are you seeing the issue in? I tried in 0.78 as that is where I normally run MK but I run R-Type in 172 and I know that is fine for me too. As usual my build is somewhere between releases so I really have to do a fresh install to check it all out properly.

I'm glad the sync issue wasn't anything major.

J67ab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by J67ab » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:20 pm

.78 is where NBA and MC are running. they run just fine, only in 2/3 of the screen. Thx! R-type runs fine for me in 172

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 pm

In that case my guess is it will just be the video setting in Retroarch for that resolution (and maybe 288p too). Are you running the default setup or the non interlaced only low res setup?

If you feel like trying before I get to it you can probably fix it up in the Retroarch menus video section pretty easily. Plug in a keyboard before powering up, run either MK or NBAJam (or any other game with the issue) and press 'F1'. Navigate the menu with joystick and B1 selects, B2 backs out. You will want to adjust the custom width to fill the screen, it's a slow process due to having to use the joystick to adjust the numbers. Once it's right back out of the menus with B2 until you can select the quick menu then resume game. It should save automatically and work for all the games running that config.

I'll post up a fix up for this in the next day or so, I must have missed a config file when I made the update. Unless this isn't the issue in the end... it should be though if 172 is displaying fine at the same resolution.