Arpicade with Kick Harness P2 Button 4 not working

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

wjamesfl
Community Member
Community Member

Arpicade with Kick Harness P2 Button 4 not working

Post by wjamesfl » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:08 pm

Hi All,

I acquired an old Data East - Gate of Doom arcade cab a while back. The PCB for it seems to be shot, possibly one of the custom DE processors.

Rather than trying to repair the PCB I decided to go the Arpicade route. The first thing to note is, the button layout on the control panel on Gate of Doom is rather odd (to me), with three buttons left of P1 joystick and three to the right (6 total for each player). I do have the conversion kit document scanned that I found online. From the conversion kit this appears to allow for ambidextrous play.

Interestingly though, the document says that the each player would have an attack and magic button only (so 4 total, 2 on each side) but the control panel is set up for 3 on each side when I acquired it. The documentation I have showing JAMMA connector shows that 3rd button was not used. For wiring, both attack buttons are wired together on the same wire for each player, same for magic, etc..

Here is the original button layout of the unit

I wanted to change the button layout to something more practical, so I had a new control panel fabricated with a button layout of joystick on left side, six buttons to the right. I also ordered the Arpicade from High Score Saves with preloaded front end and games (bought at end of 2018, this has been a on and off project) along with the complete kick harness.

JS 123

Here is the old control panel

Here is the new control panel

So, I kept the first three buttons 1-2-3 for both players that go to JAMMA with original wiring, and I have the old ambidextrous wiring off to the side (Probably cover them with something to prevent accidentally touching metal) and wired the top three buttons 456 to the new kick harness based on the pinout for it. I used the existing daisy chained ground wires that went to the ambidextrous buttons for the kick harness buttons. No new ground wires are used. I went into Arpicade menu and noticed when trying to assign buttons at first P2 B3,4,6 were not registering and that the other buttons that were registering were registering as different buttons. After Re-seating the Kick harness connector->Arpicade JAMMA adapter P2 B3 and B6 started working. Still no input detected from B4. I tried taking the B4 wire to another functioning button and it still did not work. I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the ribbon cable from Arpicade -> Pi.

I read that wireless keyboards can cause issues so I am using a wired one. I even tested it without a keyboard plugged in and P2 B4 still does not work.

Here is what the buttons are registering as inside Arpicade. Physical button being the button based on layout given in images above

Code: Select all

Player 1	
Physical Button		Software input
B1				Joy0 Button0 + Jo2 Button4
B2				Joy0 Button1 + Jo2 Button5
B3				Joy0 Button5 + Jo2 Button9
B4				Joy0 Button3 + Jo2 Button7
B5				Joy0 Button2 + Jo2 Button6
B6				Joy0 Button4 + Jo2 Button8
Player 2 is exactly the same as above except its Joy1 instead of Joy0 and of course physical B4 is not working.

I checked my dip switch on Arpicade, 1&2 on, 3&4 off.

I have also installed new buttons, but I have ruled that out as the old buttons have the same issue. I have tried re connecting the harness -> apricade board connection as well as the kick harness pin connection in between the button wiring to the Arpicade board (pictures below)

Wiring of buttons

Leftover daisy chained ambidextrous wires

Mid-wire connection for kick harness

The Arpicade and PI with kick harness connection:

I am hoping I have just made a newbie mistake somewhere. Any ideas why P2 B4 is not getting input or how I can test further? I do have a multi-meter but I am not sure what settings to put it on for testing or what to look for.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Arpicade with Kick Harness P2 Button 4 not working

Post by dee2eR » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:46 am

Nice looking cab.

If I could make one suggestion: The top row of buttons is traditionally 1,2 and 3, with the bottom row being 4,5,6. With it wired the opposite way you will need to adjust the controls in the software to make 6 button games like Street Fighter II right.

The b4 issue will most likely be either a dodgy micro switch at the button end or possibly the wiring at the RJ kick harness end not quite making proper contact in that press in wire header. It's probably worth continuity checking the b4 wire at the kick harness in case it is not quite pressed in right or something.

I test all boards after making them so P2B4 should definitely work on the board itself.

wjamesfl
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Arpicade with Kick Harness P2 Button 4 not working

Post by wjamesfl » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:19 pm

For the button layout I'll switch them if thats the case to make mapping easier.

I did the continuity check and sure enough the issue is at the press in wire connector on the kick harness that connects to the pcb. I've never messed with this type of connector. It seems if I move B4 wire around it will make contact but I'm not sure how to fix that so that it maintains good contact. I'll see what I find.