Help with some issues running into with

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

biocustoms
Community Member
Community Member

Help with some issues running into with

Post by biocustoms » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:42 am

Hello,
I been creeping around for week now. Try to look up info and search best i can .
Right now i got 3.9 on a pi 3b+, hdmi to vga that goes to a j-pac jamma. Audio i pull from 3.5mm to a ext amp. Power supply is a 2.5A
Cab is a atomiswave (old metal slug not neogeo) with a 25" w.g k7400.

Ok i been trying to get this thing working for about 6 month with retropie and got games and things working there mostly but cant get a menu for the 240 res and odd little things too.
So i ran into this o.s and so far its really nice crt friendly!
I found a video of a guy that really talk this up so here i am.
I am not super linux nerdy. I know how to somewhat get around.

So first off i loaded image 3.9 and made sure it work for my cab. The boot screen and load screen and attract screen default config file worked. Didn't change anything. Sized right and not blurry that i can see.
First thing i notice thou was no sounds. I end figure it out why by going to dos command screen and sudo in to pi and in advancement force 3.5mm out.
Was there something i missed to default to 3.5mm? I didn't see nothing in the walk though.

So now i am at the point of figuring out what roms go where to work right.
I uses to years ago use emu paradise and mameui64 and just place roms in and play on p.c just worked.
So i been playing with dumping roms in different mame folders and i got to a point where it work mostly.

So this question is my jpac has mame default controller key assignment but not all mame in this o.s use them.
Where besides in game can i config the controllers settings to mame default? Also i try going into retro arch and i have no control in the menu with cab buttons or a keyboard. Have to force reboot to get out.

#2 is when it boots up and on load screen and main and other attract screen my v-hold is fine. but when i start a game and on it's load screen and in game it starts going crazy scrolling.
I try to adjust with my monitor controller but just so touchy. But when i hit esc to go back to main screen it stops. I never had this happen on retropie in a game.
Weird thing is i'm set up horizontal and when i put a vertical game on it does not seem to do it then.

#3 Where you put bios at? Same folder and roms?
Never used this clemonpro thing to "convert" games. How you know what dat file to use to what folder the games needs to use. I seen your list on the front page but not fully understanding it.

Thank you!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Help with some issues running into with

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:15 am

The input issues you're having is due to the JPAC acting as a keyboard, ARpiCADE is setup to use the RaspberryJAMMA by default and the inputs are done as joystick/buttons. Some emulators are probably closer than others to having the MAME keyboard defaults working as well but it's not really something I worry about. The best way to fix the inputs is in MAMEs menus, you will need to do it at least once per MAME version as they all have their own config files.

Retroarch will only partially be picking up keyboard inputs with the default settings. This is due to the built in hotkeys system in ARpiCADE, which you won't need anyway as the JPAC has it's own... The setting you need to change for RetroArch to pickup your keystrokes fully is the input driver, it's set to 'linux raw' to make the hotkeys work but you should change it to 'udev'.

The audio is defaulted to HDMI as I use the DAC audio output rather than the RPis on RaspberryJAMMA. Last I checked (admittedly years ago now) the HDMI-VGA audio output was higher quality than the RPis directly, this may have changed with more recent Pis.... If your HDMI-VGA adaptor has audio out you could try it otherwise you have found a working solution from the sound of it.

You may need to adjust your V-Hold very slightly. The system boots in 480i (for menus and rotated games) and switches to various non interlaced low resolutions to suit the (not rotated) games. With a RaspberryJAMMA you can find a V-Hold spot that works for all the various resolutions, it's possible the JPAC does something differently but I would imagine it will work too. If you can't find a spot that suits both 480i and the non interlaced resolutions I'd try running the system in the 240p only (actually a few non interlaced resolutions) mode from the service menu to reduce the amount of resolution switching that happens.

Bios roms go in with regular roms, the romscanner should ignore bios roms automatically.

There was an older version of ARpiCADE that had been converted for JPAC use floating around the UK based arcade forums a couple of years ago, you may be able to find that still - no idea though. As I make the RaspberryJAMMA JPAC use doesn't interest me much but good luck with it...

EDIT: you will need to edit RetoArchs config files manually if you have no controls in the menu.

biocustoms
Community Member
Community Member

Post by biocustoms » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Ok thank you.
I'll look into your kit for my other cab. One thing i don't see if does yours have hook up for track ball?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 pm

Trackballs will work on RPi via optical to USB conversion boards. OptiWiz and OptiPAC are reported working but anything following the USB standards should work.