Can't get genesis games to run on 3.x

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Noascii
Community Member
Community Member

Can't get genesis games to run on 3.x

Post by Noascii » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:57 pm

For some reason I can't get any genesis games running on my setup (raspberry pi 3b+, raspberryjamma). All the roms I've tried work in other emulators, but for some reason when I select one from the game list in attract mode, it says the game is loading, but then kicks me back out to the menu. It'd be nice to get streets of rage going on this thing. I've tried putting the roms in both the genesis and megadrive folders and neither work. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing here?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Can't get genesis games to run on 3.x

Post by dee2eR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:41 pm

Did you add the update at the bottom of the first post of the 3.X release thread? (Updates the build to ARpiCADE 3.X.1)

I think it should fix it up for you.

Noascii
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Noascii » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:54 pm

I haven't, didn't see that. I'll give it a shot.

Noascii
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Noascii » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:51 am

So I downloaded the update zip, decompressed it and put the folder and the .sh file in the /boot/config-updater/ folder and then ran the update from the service menu. It stayed at a black screen for a bit and then reset the system. I'm not sure if it worked or not, is there a way to see what version I'm running?

Anyway, after that, nothing changed. Attempting to load the genesis games just results in me being dumped back into the menu. I also tried reimaging my sd card and updating again for just in case I messed something up along the way, and the results are the same.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:24 am

Spaces in filenames maybe? (if so, replace the spaces with underscores)

I'm going to test it now. Can remember someone else had troubles with SEGA consoles last year but can't find the thread offhand now (it would have been a diff ARpiCADE version). I'll update this post if I find anything or figure it out.

EDIT: working here... not sure why it isn't for you.

Noascii
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Noascii » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Yep, that was it, I had spaces in the file names. I didn't think that would be a problem since the NES emulator doesn't seem to mind them, but I guess the genesis emulator cares more about that. I knew it had to be something dumb that I was missing, thanks for the help!