Hotkey issues

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Litltn187
Community Member
Community Member

Hotkey issues

Post by Litltn187 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:29 pm

This is my 2nd go with an Arpicade from HSS. I installed it in my SF cabinet and am having issues. In menus, it will read all of my inputs from P1. I can go up, down, select game etc.... however once I get in game it does not register anyt inputs from p1. Meaning I cannot escape to the game list, pause, open menu or use any hotkey (without a keyboard).
I tested the Jamma harness in the cab. with another pcb and all the inputs work flawless. I am leaning towards a hardware issue as I Also have a working Arpicade setup in my midway cabinet. I took the good setup from the midway and it works perfect in my SF cabinet, while the new Arpicade still malfunctions in the midway cabinet.

Where do I go from here ?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Hotkey issues

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:37 pm

What is the actual issue? If inputs are working in the menu I don't see how a hardware fault could have them working in menu and not in game.

Is there any particular emulator with the issue?

If you swap just the software from one cab to the other without moving the hardware does the issue still swap cabs?

Litltn187
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Litltn187 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:51 am

Sorry, I meant software issue. It’s been a long day..... Upon further inspection it seems to just be a hotkey issue. With the keyboard plugged in I can coin up and utilize the player 1 inputs in game. I can access menus and leave the game with the keyboard, but I can’t get those functions to work from the Control panel Inputs Furthermore, when I try to remap a button it seems to be showing a “ghost input” for example If I want to make my coin 1 input j:button 8, I highlight the selection, hold j:button 8 but then it comes up as “j:button 8 j3:button9”

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:19 am

The 'ghost input' you're seeing is the hotkeys system (at least part of it) so it sounds like it is running... having the 'ghost inputs' picked up in MAME setting an input shouldn't stop anything from working, it just looks messy.

If you exit all the menus to the command line using 'f4' and press p1 start + p1button1 do you see a 5 appear? (if you do go to the command line to check that you can get back to the normal menus with 'sudo reboot')

Which version of MAME are you having the issue in? It's possible there's some issue with the setup of a MAME version or similar.

Do you know which version of ARpiCADE you're using? If it was supplied with the board I have no way to be sure but there may be version info in /boot/USER_GUIDE/.