Disable Demo Sound?

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Disable Demo Sound?

Post by ItalianNJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Is there a way to disable sound in the Attract menu, as well as game demos, and only have the sound when you actually select a game and play it?

As an example, Qbert has game sound when it's there idle (demo), yet Ms. Pac-man does not. Main Menu also has sound for the games.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disable Demo Sound?

Post by cool_factor » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:38 pm

Youll need a USB keyboard but I believe you hit F4 from attract-mode and go to the system volume adjustment option

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:06 pm

I figured it out - it's in attract.cfg file, I changed 100 to 0 in this section...

Code: Select all

sound
	sound_volume         0
	ambient_volume       0
	movie_volume         0

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:02 pm

OK I figured out the Attact mode sound, but what I can't figure out is how to disable the sound from the DEMO of the game when you select one. For example Ms. Pac-Man does not have sound in it's demo, but Pac-Mania does, so when the machine is idle it's playing sound too... any way to turn that off for the demos?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:41 pm

demo sounds vary from game to game - it depends on the original hardware. Generally you can turn them off using the dipswitch menu form MAME, unfortunately I don't think there's a way to do all games at once. Often it's listed as attract sound or demo sound in the dipswitch menu. Some games may use their service menus to set attract sound, I'm not sure.

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:25 am

I kind of figured that would be the case! Boooo!
8-)

I still am going to go through all the games and organize them so it might be something else I do while I am doing that.

BTW Great Product! I had bought a Game Elf Vertical and it was terrible. I am so happy I bought this! I tore apart my Pac-Man 40th Arcade1UP and used this.

One thing I did do though, was I removed the DAC and used HDMI to the monitor adapter that I had already bought, and also ran the sound "out" of that to my small amp, since it did have a headphone jack (only one that worked).. so I guess I didn't really need the DAC

Reason I did this as no matter what I did or settings I changed, the games would be about 3 inches off screen (off the top, with space at the bottom).

Once I changed this to HDMI, no issues!

Maybe because this particular machine is 1280x960, and had a special adapter I had to get from Amazon.

Abime75
Observer
Observer

Post by Abime75 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:14 pm

Thanks