Setup button?

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Setup button?

Post by dee2eR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:05 am

OK, for whatever reason the joystick driver isn't working.

I'd recommend re-imaging the SD card. May as well update to 3.X at the same time. Figuring out what happened to break the driver is likely harder than just re-imaging.

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 am

I'm on a pi3 running 3.9

is there a different version i should use?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:18 am

3.9 should work. No idea what has gone wrong in yours to stop the joystick driver working. Try a fresh copy of 3.9 if you like.

3.X.1 is the latest Pi2 or Pi3 version. For a low res monitor I would definately update to at least 3.X while you're sorting this issue out. On a low res CRT 3.X is way better than 3.9 as most games will run at their correct refresh rates.

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:59 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:18 am
3.9 should work. No idea what has gone wrong in yours to stop the joystick driver working. Try a fresh copy of 3.9 if you like.

3.X.1 is the latest Pi2 or Pi3 version. For a low res monitor I would definately update to at least 3.X while you're sorting this issue out. On a low res CRT 3.X is way better than 3.9 as most games will run at their correct refresh rates.
Installed 3.X.1. Same thing. No joystick or buttons

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:29 am

In case it's the SD card causing the issue can you try another SD?

Did you do anything to the software other than burn it? Seems odd you shoudl have the same issue on 2 different versions.

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:38 am

I did burn it on a 2nd one. 3.x.1 is on a different card.

The only thing I did was change rotate to 3 in the config, and copy over tempest

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:42 am

I don't think it would cause an input driver issue but you shouldn't set vertical using rotate 3, there's dedicated options for vert (or set vert from the service menu).

Unfortunately I have no idea why the input driver isn't working for you. As I know the software works (and no-one else has reported this issue - certainly not on 2 different versions of ARpiCADE) and I test all boards before sending them out I'm leaning toward the issue being either the Pi (if it has some sort of GPIO issue) or the SD card (either the card itself or some part of your process) - most likely SD card, although if you tried two diff cards unless you bought 2 knockoff cards it doesn't seem likely they're both duds.

Just in case it's probably worth trying burning it again, don't change any settings just copy a game onto it, make sure you safely eject/unmount/remove the SD card in software before removing it from your PC don't just yank it out. It may even be worth trying without copying a game onto it, just run the joystick test from the command line to see if the driver is running on a completely fresh copy.

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:09 pm

I tried another Pi. I tried another ms pacman. Still not working.

I think I might just return it.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:58 pm

If the problem was present on another Pi it is almost definately the SD card causing your issue. Not sure if it's the SD card has a physical issue or some step you're taking burning the software but you've ruled everything else out.

If you want to return it though fair enough, you don't seem to be having much luck with it.

flyingfistofbudha
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by flyingfistofbudha » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:38 pm

i have a few different t cabs

mine works fine one one set up
and today plugged into my egret
and no buttons or sticks
service /test buttons working.

so i will update if i find out anything