Setup button?

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Setup button?

Post by kireol » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:12 pm

I just got my Arpicade. Screwed in the rpi3b+ and plugged it on. It booted up.

It boots to an attract screen, but flipped. So I need to change that setting.

Now I'm stuck. I read the F4 key on a keyboard or pressing the service button on the coin door should bring up the menu.
Neither did anything. The joysticks and buttons (ms pacman) didn't do anything. Pressing every single key on the keyboard didn't do anything.

What am I doing wrong?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Setup button?

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:40 am

Hard to say what is going wrong there... what version of ARpiCADE are you running?

You should be able to fix the screen rotation in config.txt but it sounds like you have some other thing happening too.

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:56 am

Running 3.9 from releases.

I can ssh in to the pi.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:25 am

That's very odd.

So the joystick only selects games in the menu? And won't work in game? Or am I misundertanding?

Do you know if the keyboard is USB standard compliant? If it is it should work without any further messing around... unless you plug it in after booting - sometimes that can mean it isn't active, but if so a reboot would make it work...

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:42 am

Joystick doesnt do anything
player 1 and 2 buttons dont do anything
UISB keyboard does not do anything
test/service don't do anything

When I plug in my 60-in-1 back in, test/service, joy and buttons work

I'll try rebooting again and see if the keyboard works

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:04 am

What setting do you have on the dipswitchs on the RaspberryJAMMA? Regular JAMMA is 1&2 ON, 3&4 OFF - dependning on your cabs wiring it could be as simple as the dipswitch settings.

Although that won't effect the keyboard, so not sure what that may be yet...

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:48 pm

OK, rebooting made the keyboard work. I now am able to get to the settings menu, and have my monitor correct.

I don't see any docs on how to get the joystick and buttons to work other than the dip switches, which you mentioned, but I really feel I have it correct. What should I do?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:21 am

It all looks normal enough, assuming the Pac to JAMMA adaptor doesn't do anything odd with inputs I'm not sure what the issue is.

Seeing you have the keyboard working now the best thing to do would be to test the inputs on the command line. Use F4 to exit all the menus to get to the commadnd line then type:
jstest /dev/input/js0
this should bring up the Linux kernel level joystick test for P1 controls. Before trying any inputs check the joystick description, it should be something like "GPIO controller 1", if it says something like XBOX userspace driver" the joystick driver is not working right for some reason. Move the stick or press buttons and you should see changes onscreen, if no inputs are updating the screen and it is identified as GPIO control 1 there could be a hardware level issue causing the problem. Once done ctrl+c exits the test program, once at the command prompt again typing:
sudo reboot
will reboot the system and get you back to menus.

Report back how you go.

EDIT: one other thought... if the Pac to JAMMA adaptor isn't using pins 27 & e as GND you may be better off with all the dipswitches on the RaspberryJAMMA in the off position. If it uses 27 & e as b6 for each player turn 3&4 ON and 1&2 OFF. I don't think this will be the issue but maybe it's worth checking, I don't have any experience with Pac adaptors...

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Tried

On On Off Off
Off Off On On
Off Off Off Off

nothing changed.

Will try using that command line tool later today.

kireol
Community Member
Community Member

Post by kireol » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:47 pm

Yeah, it's showing XBox as the input. Joystick (Xbox Gamepad (userspace driver)) has 4 axes (X, Y, Gas, Brake)

Tried all 3 dip switch settings again, and it was the same each time.