advmame roms stopped working

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

RaMpAgE_3007
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

advmame roms stopped working

Post by RaMpAgE_3007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:04 am

AdvanceMame (mame-106) roms have stopped loading, was working, now not. All other mame rom version are working.

Here's what happens, from attract screen rom list is there with snap, press the button, looks like it's loading then just kicks back to attract mode list.

Options please?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: advmame roms stopped working

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:14 am

Possibly something has broken the AdvMAME config file(?), it's hard to be sure what may have happened. Did anything unusual happen prior to the issue?

The best way to figure it out is probably to try running the AdvMAME launcher from the commend line and see if it returns any helpful error messages. Exit to the command line (exit the menus with F4) and type:
/boot/launchers/advmame.sh sf2
I used sf2 as the example but you will need to pick a game you have in AdvMAME, the sf2 part is not necesarily going to suit your build/romset.

Alternatly if you have a backup image, restoring from that should see everything working again without having to figure out the issue.

Or, you could also use this as an excuse to update to newer ARpiCADE versions if you're on an older version.

RaMpAgE_3007
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by RaMpAgE_3007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:28 am

I will try that thanks, and get back with the results. I have 3.X version

RaMpAgE_3007
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by RaMpAgE_3007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:59 am

It's saying the required files are missing from the roms, the roms are fine.

I have re uploaded the 106 roms, overwriting them.

Uploaded replacement advmame.sh, well the whole launcher folder.

All done over wifi.

All I have done is add console roms and snaps using WinSCP, they are working no problems.

Guess I have to start again, which I was dreading to do with my iso and re upload all the files again. :((

Frustrating.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:38 am

it may be worth checking /home/pi/.advance/advmame.rc in case the rompaths have changed somehow (no idea what would cause that).

Is there any chance you have completely filled either partition of the SD card when copying games onto it? Accidentally filling an SD card partition can have unexpected results.

Otherwise if you're sure the roms are complete and you have any needed bios roms too I have no idea what has caused the games not to work.

RaMpAgE_3007
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by RaMpAgE_3007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:42 am

The boot partition won't be full as I upgraded to a 32Gb, the other partition I am not sure, I will check in my PC, it was only about 4gb when created.

Will check the rom path out.

If it looks ok I will just redo the SD card.

RaMpAgE_3007
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by RaMpAgE_3007 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:41 am

SD card re-done again, all working now, have no idea of the problems with advmame.
Backing up this new SD file system for future fallbacks.