Hotkey change

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

gnarleydudes80
Community Member
Community Member

Hotkey change

Post by gnarleydudes80 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:10 am

I've got a 4 player arpicade in a Simpsons cab. My cab doesn't have start buttons, so I can't get back to the game menu without a keyboard. I have coin buttons installed, so I figured it would make sense to change the hotkey from start to coin. How do i do this with my keyboard attached to pi? Can someone give me a step by step?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Hotkey change

Post by dee2eR » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:10 pm

I'll do a writ eup for you tomorrow, I'll go through it step by step myself as I write so I don't miss anything.

gnarleydudes80
Community Member
Community Member

Post by gnarleydudes80 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Appreciate it!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:15 am

Sorry, just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten you, but my kids have been sick so I haven't been in the office much to go through it step by step. It will happen.

discosheep
Community Member
Community Member

Post by discosheep » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:57 pm

This would be useful for me also :) Not sure what string should be used to represent holding coin 1 as an alternative to the player 1 button ('START') in hotkeys.ini. The information in the .ini file is good but I couldn't figure out as yet. Thanks in advance!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:02 am

Sorry it took me so long. This guide should work for either ARpiCADE 3.X.1 or 4.3.1

Using coin in the hotkeys is only currently supported using the four player adaptor. For four player setups it's a pretty easy change and can be done on either the Pi or your PC. You just need to edit hotkeys.ini, if you use Windows do not use the built in Notepad as it will bork Linux files (get Notepad++, it's free and very good).

From the command line on the RPi: the command to edit hotkeys.ini is:
sudo nano /boot/hotkeys.ini
If you want to change all hotkeys to coin instead of start change "WHITE" to "BLACK" on the 2 lines under "[ui-axismap]" and the three lines under "[ui-buttonmap]".

If you only want the exit shortcut changed the only line you need to change is: "WHITE=BTN_START:KEY_ESC:1500" make it:
BLACK=BTN_START:KEY_ESC:1500
When finished editing, press 'ctrl+x' to exit pressing 'y' to confirm saving and 'enter' to overwrite the file. Once back on the command line type

sudo reboot
to reboot and then test to see if the changes worked.

If you mess something up or break the hotkeys.ini file, don't worry theres a backed up copy (hotkeys.ini.4p) - selecting 4player mode from the service menu will restore the original hotkeys.ini file.