Upgrading fuse from 1A to 2.5A + Tutorial recommendation

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Sutter Cane
Community Member
Community Member

Upgrading fuse from 1A to 2.5A + Tutorial recommendation

Post by Sutter Cane » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:45 am

I have an old jamma board with a 1A on the board Since I upgraded to RPI3+ I need to change the fuse because of power issue (Thunderbolt logo on the right)

Could someone confirm if this the right fuse?

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Lit ... cy1Q%3D%3D

Also any tutorial recommendation on fuse replacement? Never done that before. Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Upgrading fuse from 1A to 2.5A + Tutorial recommendation

Post by dee2eR » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:13 am

That fuse will be perfect.

If you don't have one already get a cheap solder sucker while you're at it. Solder removiong braid would also work with a slightly different technique.

Just in case you slip or something best to remove the RPi before doing any work on the board as it is the most expensive component to replace...

To make the job easy you'l want to cut at least one leg of the fuse so you can clear one hole at a time. To clear the holes heat the solder until molten then imediately suck the solder up. Try not to heat the pad for more than a few seconds at a time to avoid overheating it and possibly damaging it. Once the old leg is out the hole will probably be clear enough to insert the new fuse, if not try again - possibly add a little more solder if there;s a stubborn small bit left. Repeat for other leg. Install new fuse.

Sutter Cane
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Upgrading fuse from 1A to 2.5A + Tutorial recommendation

Post by Sutter Cane » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 pm

I already have a solder sucker. Thanks for the advice!