Some games have the shakes

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

mappy24
Community Member
Community Member

Some games have the shakes

Post by mappy24 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:05 am

Hi,

I've been holding off posting this as I wanted to make sure that the problem was isolated to the RaspberryJAMMA/Arpicade setup that I have. I originally thought it was a monitor issue but it's not.

I'm running the RaspberryJAMMA with a Pi 3, plugged into a CRT JAMMA cab in horizontal mode, running 3.x (I think).

In some games there is a slight (but noticeable) shaking up and down that is very distracting.

It doesn't affect all games e.g. Bubble Bobble has the shakes but Moon Patrol does not. The screen only does this with the RaspberryJAMMA/Arpicade setup and doesn't happen with JAMMA boards or my other homemamde Pi/JPAC solution from my other cab.

So, before I sell the RaspberryJAMMA and throw in another homemade JPAC solution with a Pi, are there any suggestions? I'm really hoping it's a software issue.

Here's a video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVAxgtjn2R0 the shaking is best seen in the last few seconds.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: Some games have the shakes

Post by cool_factor » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:16 pm

Have you checked the horizontal and/or vertical hold on the CRT? Moon Patrol had the shakes on my 25" CRT until I slightly tweaked those. Did not affect any other games. I highly doubt its the ArPiCade as there would be multiple other users..

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:12 am

If it's not just a monitor adjustment as suggested by @cool_factor it is likely to be a software issue. As he suggested I would try adjusting the monitor sync very slightly first.

Unlike most RPi distros, ARpiCADE uses many different low resolutions to as closely as possible display the games exactly like the originals - right down to the framerate (59.185608hz for Bubble Bobble) - if it's not just a slight monitor adjustment it is likely this particular resolution (1920x240@59.185608) could be tweaked to display better on your monitor. I can only test on the equiptment I have and some analog monitors have a bit more leeway than others.

It's likely on your other RPi setup with the JPac that you're running Bubble Bobble at 60hz, or about 100.14% original game speed. Assuming you're not using ARpiCADE as the software for that one.

mappy24
Community Member
Community Member

Post by mappy24 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:25 pm

That all makes sense, are there any other RPi distros that are compatible with the Raspberry JAMMA hardware? I already tried my JPAC image and unsurprisingly, none of the controls worked.