Help with ARpiCADE 4.3

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

MisterSPC700
Community Member
Community Member

Help with ARpiCADE 4.3

Post by MisterSPC700 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:40 am

Hello.

I recently bought a new Raspberry Pi 4 board for my Arpicade and downloaded the 4.3 release. I flashed it to my SD card and I inserted it to the RB4. But when I turn on my cab, I get a message saying: "This board requires newer software" along with a whole bunch of other stuff, and then again "This board requires newer software.

A couple of months ago I had a Raspberry Pi 3 and succesfully used Arpicade 3.something, I don't remember which version I was using.
So, I don't think I'm doing something wrong here. It hast to be software related right?

Any idea of what could this be?
Thanks.

Firehawk
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Help with ARpiCADE 4.3

Post by Firehawk » Sun May 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Have you tried Raspberry OS on it?
May try that first and let it update. Maybe you miss some firmware updates.

MisterSPC700
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MisterSPC700 » Sun May 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Hi.

Yesterday I flashed the Raspberry PI OS, booted it and it updated some things.
I reinserted my ARpiCADE 4.3 card and the message is gone but it's worse. It just shows a scrambled image.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (77.26 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
I've already tried reflashing the card but it's still the same.

The monitor/cab works fine with my Neo Geo board that I still have installed.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 23, 2022 3:16 am

Did you change any settings in config.txt? The default settings should be good for low res monitors, if you made any changes try using the defaults.

If you didn't already try adjusting the monitor sync it maybe just an adjustment required at the chassis.

It may also be worth trying the 240p only mode in config.txt in case the issue is anything to do with interlacing, although I don't think this is the issue in this instance.

I've never seen the 'this board requires newer software" message, glad you figured that one out. Pi4 having built in firmware adds a layer of complexity that RPis didn't have previously... luckily this is the first I think I've heard of it causing an issue.

MisterSPC700
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MisterSPC700 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:03 pm

I stumbled upon another person's thread about a similar scrambled video image and he said that he connected the Pi to a normal monitor and saw some error codes. His solution was using the flashed card supplied with the ARpiCADE or something like that.

I tried flashing the card again (several times), I tried another brand of card, I tried flashing with different programs, I tried another computer and still, the scrambled image. I think it's pretty clear that the flashing/card is not the problem.

I connected the Pi to my PC monitor and it shows the "This board requires newer software". So... I'm at a loss to what to do. I guess I could mess around with the monitor sync but I don't think that is the issue. I didn't change any settings whatsoever. I just flash the image and to the Pi it goes.

Also, I remembered that a couple of months ago, a friend of mine lent me her RBPi 4 because I wanted to test it with the ARpiCADE. Her Pi was the 8 Gb model. I connected it, I used ARpiCADE 4.3 and it worked, I think I put Jurassic Park and it looked good.

My Pi 4 is the 2 Gb model, but it is a more recent one, I bought it some weeks ago during a restock. Maybe they (the Raspberry Pi folks) changed something?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 24, 2022 1:14 am

I don't think it's the SD card. If ARpiCADE is booting it should be in low res, if the SD card wasn't imaged properly it wouldn't work at all, no booting and no image to be out of sync...

Slightly adjusting the monitors sync pot when you change a board is a pretty normal thing to do, not sure if you actually tried it but it should be the first thing you try when running a new board (unless it syncs up fine without any adjust).

Not sure if they changed anything about the 2 gig Pi4, it should work if it's the same as my 2 gig... I thought they had discontinued the 1 and 2 gig models. If there is some change I haven't heard about it. The 2 gig model is older than the 8gig. For the video output to have changed would mean they changed the video chip or some other failrly major hardware change I would imagine they would mention (maybe I missed it).

Any chance the scrambled image is the BIOS? As in maybe the SD card isn't booting and you're stuck on a high res BIOS screen... do you see the red LED and the blinky green LED on the Pi lighting up?

Do you still have your Pi3? Trying the Pi3 and ARpiCADE 3.X in place of the Pi4 could possibly let us know something... could at least rule out (or in) the Pi4 as the issue...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri May 27, 2022 12:24 am

Did you have any luck with it in the end?

MisterSPC700
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MisterSPC700 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:46 pm

I still have the same scrambled image.

I don't have the Pi 3 anymore but I'm planning on asking my friend to lend me her Pi 4 (8 Gb) again to test if it works with that.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sun May 29, 2022 4:36 pm

If you were trying to use Arpicade 4.3 software on a Pi3 ... that might be the problem right there. The Pi3 software versions start with 3... the latest being 3.X (X being 10)...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

MisterSPC700
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MisterSPC700 » Mon May 30, 2022 4:21 pm

No, I used version 3.X when I used the Pi 3. Later, I used version 4.3 with a borrowed 8Gb Pi4 and it worked fine.
My problem is making 4.3 work with my recent 2Gb Pi4.
The Pi4 itself works fine if i use Raspberry Pi OS or Retropie connected to a regular LCD HDMI monitor. I don't think the Pi is the problem, I don't know.
I just want to play some games...