Game restart & screen rotation on button click?

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

zacbran
Community Member
Community Member

Game restart & screen rotation on button click?

Post by zacbran » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:09 pm

I have a vertical mounted CRT and have configured it to rotate the screen when playing games. I’ve installed games for the mame139 emulator, and when I run them if I press the 2nd button for player 1 it will restart the game and rotate the screen 90 degrees. Only way to get it back is to exit the game and restart from the main menu.

I’ve tried to find where this setting might be but I’m coming up empty. Check hotkeys.ini and everything.

Any help would greatly be appreciated :)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Game restart & screen rotation on button click?

Post by dee2eR » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:39 am

Not sure hwat would be wrong with the setup for MAME139 that would cause that offhand... which ARpiCADE are you using? I can check it out.

Generally I'd recommend not using MAME 139 unless the games you're using in it won't run in MAME 172 (or newer). There's not much that'l work better in 139 than other MAME versions as far as I'm aware.

zacbran
Community Member
Community Member

Post by zacbran » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:55 am

Using mame-172 did the job! Thanks heaps, I remember trying a higher version of mame but it didn’t run so I just thought mame-139 was the way to go since it seemed to be working.

The only other issue I’ve had otherwise is it runs a bit slow for some games like Spider-Man. I’ve got a raspberry pi 3b so I just assume it’s the compute power. Do you reckon overclocking will have much effect?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:39 am

From memory Spiderman is pretty borderline on Pi3, I forget which but either MAME 106 (AdvMAME) or MAME 078 will be your best bet. If you've only tried 139 and 172 I'd try 106 and/or 078 MAME versions before overclocking.

That said, overclocking may help if it's really quite close without it.

Also, if your voltage is a little low it can also cause the Pi to throttle (even at stock clock speed) so it may also be worth checking your 5v at the JAMMA edge (with the board running), Pi3 likes around 5.1v rather than 5v flat - don't go over 5.2v, if you need to do that it indicates your power wiring may be barely or not quite adequate (if your cabs wiring is old it's probably fine, it's the new cheapy JAMMA looms designed for a 60in1 that have the issue).