HOW TO: Install 8GB Image to Larger SD Memory Card

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

HOW TO: Install 8GB Image to Larger SD Memory Card

Post by FrizzleFried » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:22 pm

The ARpiCADE update distribution is an IMAGE of an 8GB SD Memory card. Regardless of the size of the memory card you install it to (8GB and above), it will write it as an 8GB SD memory card leaving you with a usable FAT32 partition of about two and three quarters gigabytes. It's a bit small especially when you start installing movie files, etc.

The answer is to use a larger SD Memory card. I use a 32GB card for my vertical cabinet, though it's my understanding a "full set" of ROMs with all supporting artwork takes a 64GB card. The problem when updating using the 8GB image is that when you write that image, even if you have a 16, 32, or 64GB SD memory card, the usable space after writing the image is identical as that of an 8GB SD memory card leaving the majority of the card as non-allocated space.

After learning how simple it was to rectify this situation ... but having had difficulty finding the exact/concise instructions on how to do so, I decided to write a HOW TO... you can read it by CLICKING HERE.
Last edited by FrizzleFried on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: HOW TO: Install 8GB Image to Larger SD Memory Card

Post by dee2eR » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 am

Thanks for posting this.

jehuie
Community Member
Community Member

Re: HOW TO: Install 8GB Image to Larger SD Memory Card

Post by jehuie » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:29 am

Looks like the link is dead....