Raspberry 3B+

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Raspberry 3B+

Post by ItalianNJ » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Hi all,
I have been using a Rasperry 3B for some time, and had to replace it with a 3B+ since I could not find an older one anywhere reasonable. The new board will boot fine with a stock image of Rasperry OS, but with any of the new Arpicade builds, it will not boot at all. I tried a fresh new image of 3.X, 3.7, and my previous SD Card which is all configured for my machine perfectly, but it won't boot from any of them.

Is there another image I can use, or is there a way to update my previous SD card with whatever is needed to boot a 3B+?

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Raspberry 3B+

Post by ItalianNJ » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:27 am

Just an update - I flashed a brand new card with 3.9 which states it supports the Pi 3B+, but it won't boot. It will boot with a fresh OS image though, just not Arpicade image?

Any ideas?

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:16 am

I also read elsewhere that the version of the OS is built before a 3B+ was out? Does not make sense to me at all, but I could overwrite some of the boot files perhaps?

Not sure?

Also not sure if it's running 64bit or not?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:21 am

You'l want 3.X.1 found here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2137

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:15 pm

Hmm,
I could have sworn I tried that one already first. I will give it another try though for sure!
I'll report back today!

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:19 pm

Ugh.. nope - doesn't work - and I followed the instructions perfectly.
What I am reading is that if my board was released after the boot image or something, it will not boot.
Like I mentioned, it will boot a clean OS image.. just not the one provided in the arpicade IMG. If I could still use my old Pi 3 (not 3B+) I probably could have run the OS update, but it's not here anymore, and don't have access to one..

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:41 pm

OK - I hope this helps... I found a thread regarding the 3B+ issue elsewhere, so what I did on both the NEW 3.X.1 and ALSO my previous image that always worked perfectly (I will do the upgrade to the new one later at this point)...

All I had to do was replace these 3 files from the latest distro of Raspberry Pi OS Lite, by copying them from that image and replacing in the Arpicade img. I don't know why, maybe the board I just got was a later version of 3B+... I have no idea.

The 3 files I replaced were:
bootcode.bin
fixup.dat
start.elf

And now it boots perfectly with no issues at all!

Let me know if you see a problem with that, but I have tested all the functions and everything is fine! (I am using Vertical Only in case that matters)

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:53 pm

Just was wondering if there was an issue with what I did for the future? It's been working fine for me so far.... Maybe it's something that can be added to the build if necessary, not sure.

ItalianNJ
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ItalianNJ » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:24 pm

Well,
Figured I would make an update. I did upgrade to to the latest 3.X with patches, and reconfigured what I needed from my older version, and loaded all of my ROMs. I have a vertical cabinet, (Pac-Man 40th) that I modified.

Anyways, those same 3 files in the above post, I replaced in the new IMG file, and also went and expanded my image following all the instructions, and everything works perfectly. As suspected, my PI would not boot with the downloaded image until I replaced in the BOOT directory:
bootcode.bin
start.elf
fixup.dat

Which I extracted from the IMG downloaded here: https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi ... ite.img.xz

This was the Raspberry PI OS 64BIT Lite image, and I simply replaced those 3 files.

Not sure if you want to update the download images for 3.X, but I can tell you that my 3B+ would not boot without these replacement files. My older 3 Pi would boot fine without replacement, but the 3B+ which I just bought as a replacement for another issue, since my older model wasn't available needs these replaced.

Sorry for all the posts about this, just wanted to keep the community up to date on my findings!

I also hope there is no other issue that may come up later with these files being replaced, but my machine is working perfectly now!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:57 am

Sorry for the slow reply. I really appreciate your posts on this issue, I have been distracted with a(nother) family tragedy recently (this year has sucked, to put it mildly).

There might have been some sort of chip replacement on the newest RPi3B+ to have caused this issue... you are the first person to report this. I'm very glad you have figured out a workaround and posted your results. Please update if you find anything that seems broken after replacing the 3 boot files, although I don't anticipate you having issues if you haven't had any so far.

Out of curiosity are you using 480i? On the updated Pi4s the hardware change broke 480i but everything else seems to work OK using a similar boot file replacement on ARpiCADE 4.3. (Pi4 uses a different video core to the earlier Pis though)

Guess I better make an updated image with the 3 updated boot files... would be a shame to actually be able to get Pi3B+ again (without buying from a scalper) and not have working software.