newbie confusion

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

shredder78
Community Member
Community Member

newbie confusion

Post by shredder78 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:30 pm

hey all,

bought a game room goodies machine, and it has loads of games I won't ever play. so wanted too start with a fresh image, and add in my own.

the one image file I found was 128gb and way too big for my 16gb card. plus, it was corrupted. I can't seem to find anything else.

i've set up images before, but the few i've found where either not working anymore or corrupted.

I have a Pi from 2017 with this machine.

shredder78
Community Member
Community Member

Re: newbie confusion

Post by shredder78 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:45 pm

just a bit of an update. FINALLY found a working image, and got it back into boot up mode again.

Now, a couple of house keeping issues
1- How can I program it so the controls ALWAYS stayed mapped the way they where even after the machine is turned off?

2- The machine originally came with the option to press and hold the 1 player start button too exit too the game selection menu. i'd like too replicate this.

thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:52 am

Sorry I have no idea which version of ARpiCADE software you're using to be able to help here.

Long hold start to exit game has been standard for ages and the inputs should also not change between uses. Although if you do make any config changes in game etc. I recommend rebooting the system from the service menu prior to switching off your cab to make sure the SD card has been finalized (it sounds like you may be making config changes that aren't written fully to the SD card before you power down).

It also sounds like you probably didn't find the latest version. They can all be found on theis forum in the releases section. For Pi3B+ (or earlier models) you will want ARpiCADE 3.X.1, for Pi4 varieties you will want ARpiCADE 4.3.1 to have the latest up to date image.

shredder78
Community Member
Community Member

Post by shredder78 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:17 pm

OK, I'll give that a try, and see if it works. wating for a power strip with a usb port section in it too power my new on/off button i'm attaching too the side.

the one I am using for the 3b+ is this image file. 201005-ARpiCADE-3.X

is it worth upgrading too go for the 4 version?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:25 am

No, for a Pi3B+, 3.X is the way to go.

The 4.xxxx branch of ARpiCADE is only for Pi4.

shredder78
Community Member
Community Member

Post by shredder78 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:25 pm

yep, that's what I meant. would it be worth upgrading too the pi 4 to get 4.x?

Also, I havn't had time too hook up the keyboard too see if players 3 and 4 map properly. but, popeye is waaay too big. any ideas how I can fix it? Image

shredder78
Community Member
Community Member

Post by shredder78 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:52 pm

also, this is what my machine came with. I'm wondering if the 3/4 player board needs power. I can't remember if it did have a wire on it before, but I swear it didn't.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:22 pm

No extra power wire needed for the 3 and 4 player adaptor, it's all passed through from the JAMMA board. Probably worth a look at this recent thread for help mapping it in emulator: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4644

Have you selected the four player mode from the service menu? That should do most, if not quite all, the config required for the four player board. There's no real standard four player cab setup (every company did there own thing) so some setup may well be required fo your cab and games combination.

You also shouldn't need the RPi power supply, assuming you have power to the JAMMA edge it should be passed to the Pi via the ribbon cable. Just noticed this in your photo.

For Popeye, if it's running in AdvMAME I'd try the video settings menu in the MAME menu while it's running. Unfortunately you may not be able to see that part of the MAME menu while the image is that overscanned. I'm happy to check it out at my end and write out some instructions if you like - just let me know your video setting (ie. if you're booting in 480i, 240p or 480p and the emulator its running in. It could also be worth trying a different emulator, eg. try MAME 0.172 if it's in AdvMAME 0.106 at the moment.

shredder78
Community Member
Community Member

Post by shredder78 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:38 pm

hello!

Yes, the PI did NOT come with a power cord. however, I noticed that since I put it back in the first time I took it out too see what model pi I had, it no longer powered on WITHOUT the power cable. Not sure what might be missing that it's no longer doing what it originally did.

maybe that is why player 3 and 4 no longer work?

I will check out that thread, thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:05 am

Sounds like the fuse may have blown on the RaspberryJAMMA main board. In that case the Pi power supply will be needed, or you will need to fit a new 2.5A fuse...

Any chance you plugged the four player adaptor in offset by a pin? That would cause the 3 and 4 player inputs not to work and also blow the fuse on the main board.

My guess is because you've used new software you still need to select 4 player mode in the service menu to activate the board.