Trying to setup and install and test before putting in machines

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

KahMeh
Community Member
Community Member

Trying to setup and install and test before putting in machines

Post by KahMeh » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:47 am

I am currently trying to set up Arpicade, and I have a 3b+ version I got to diagnose, and am planning on setting up 12 cabinets, I want to set this up and such without the jamma then when done configuring install them into cabinet, Tho currently any time I boot a game from the menu the screen just goes black Am I missing a video setting somewhere?

I should mention I will be installing it on pi 4's if all goes well.
currently testing on a pi4
but I have a pi3 B+ available if need be

Edit
swapped out test rom to one on compatibility list and still just goes to blank screen once selected.

2nd Edit much later:
I may not know anything about MAME roms and sets, this I have come to the conclusion on.

3rd edit
From the archive which romset should I use for this?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Trying to setup and install and test before putting in machines

Post by dee2eR » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:22 am

If I had to guess what was going wrong it probably isn't the romset. When you run ARpiCADE with the default release settings it boots in 480i and swaps to (usually) 240p when a game is launched. Not all modern monitors can do 15k resolutions, some will do 480i but not 240p. If you're using the VGA output to your monitor try HDMI output to a TV, in my experience HDMI output to a TV will be much more likely to be able to handle 480i/240p than a PC monitor (especially via it's VGA input).

If you have no luck with the low res setting on a modern monitor you should try the high res setting in config.txt as it is intended for modern monitors. Unfortunately that's not ideal if you're trying to set up a low res system, but at least should get you started.

Another thing to consider if you want a Pi4 setup it uses a different version of the ARpiCADE software than earlier Pi models due to it's different video chip. I also recommend using newer MAME versions on a Pi4 to get the best out of it, Pi4 is strong enough to not use such old MAME versions for the most part.

If you need to start with a particular MAME set I recommend MAME 0.172 - many things run great on Pi3, most(? definately more) things run great on Pi4 - plus it's not too old.

KahMeh
Community Member
Community Member

Post by KahMeh » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:56 am

Fantastic thank you for the info, I seem to also be having the issue with possible incompatible bios? whats the md5 of the dreamcast bios that I need to run naomi? namely MVSC2. as I cannot get any version or combo so work, so I figure the md5 isnt right, unless you have another reason why I cannot get games to launch.

I have tried to launch mvsc and mvsc2, as well as various versions of turtles arcade games, which wont even show up on the list when booting.

So it is possible to run arpicade via usb items instead of the jamma? as I dont have anything besides the jamma board.

KahMeh
Community Member
Community Member

Post by KahMeh » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:45 am

I got MVSC2 to boot in retropie so its not longer an issue, I am not just trying to fix the high score saves on TMNT using 106, I have a cabinet thats running that and doesnt seem to want to run on any other emulator (192 folder exists on whatever version that is on here)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:13 am

On Pi4 TMNT should run fine in MAME 0.172 or newer. There's not much reason to be running it in 106, you will get worse results.

It's probably worth running your roms through Romcenter or similar to audit them for MAME 172. Datfiles for various MAME versions can be found here: https://www.progettosnaps.net/dats/MAME/ and can help you make sure you have the right rom (with the right contents) for which ever MAME version(s) you need.

KahMeh
Community Member
Community Member

Post by KahMeh » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:15 am

it came with the cabinet on 106, I will look into it and see what I can do! thank you much I will post results when I get them.

KahMeh
Community Member
Community Member

Post by KahMeh » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:02 am

how can I update a rom from 106 to 172?

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:48 pm

Search online for a 0.172 romset. Check archive.org

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:26 am

Yeah, as has been said it is easier just to find the roms you need.

While it is posible to convert romsets using Romcenter or similar, you are trying to update over almost 70 MAME versions and it would not be quick.

If you only needed to go a version or two their are update romsets floating around to get from one version to another, they just contain the missing bits and peices and you use Romcenter (or similar) to combine the old with the new and make whatever other needed changes to file names etc..