Tempest With Turbo Twist

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Tempest With Turbo Twist

Post by bimber » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:09 am

Hi all. Has anyone had success using the OptiWiz Turbo Twist with Tempest? It works with other games (just plug and play), but I can't figure out how to get it going for Tempest. Tried going into settings, but I couldn't figure it out.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: Tempest With Turbo Twist

Post by cool_factor » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:24 pm

Try this:

Out of curiousity I took Tempest out of the nosdl array in the /boot/launchers/advmame.sh launcher and tried it again. This causes Tempest to run in AdvMAME 1.4 rather than 3.9-1. I tried it again and both mice worked. Luckily it looks like Tempest was in the nosdl array for horizontal monitors as it rendered OK for me on vert.

I think this may be a AdvMAME 3.9-1 issue, be it setup issue or some other change to the software, I will continue looking into it. I tried using AdvMAME 3.0 and it worked ok too, pretty sure it's sharing the 1.4 config file (more than a year since I looked at them so I'm not certain) so that may indicate the problem with 3.9-1 is a config file issue. It is also possible 3.9-1 has issues with multi mouse I'm not aware of...

Hopefully this at least gets your spinner working in Tempest.

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Post by bimber » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:34 am

Thanks for the info. The spinner does work when I take it out there and add it to the array below the one you mentioned (runs game specifically in 3.0) but the game now plays in horizontal mode, so I can only see half of it (I'm trying to run it in a vertical monitor, like it's designed to be in). If I just add it to the 3.0 list without taking it off the nosdl list, it doesn't work, but the game displays properly. Is there a way to directly assign it to MAME 3.0 without taking it off the list?

Also, I tried a couple other folders, and I can get the spinner to run in 203 and 172, but there is an annoying random pulsing sound. Does a tempest ROMset for 203 or 172 exist?

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Post by bimber » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:45 am

Resolved. Had to switch to version 3.X(ten), set hdmi=1 in the config file, and placed the ROM in the 106 folder (advancemame). The game came up weird with half of it off screen, but then went into the game-specific video settings and set resolution to 480.