text size arcade monitor

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

RaMpAgE_3007
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

text size arcade monitor

Post by RaMpAgE_3007 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:01 am

Hard to read the text on an arcade monitor, need to setup wifi but you cannot read in console as you type.

Any way to fix this instead of plugging in a pc monitor as you would have to change the resolution first in the cfg.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: text size arcade monitor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:28 am

I don't have an easy solution for that unfortunately. Possibly booting in 240p rather than 480i would make it clearer on your arcade screen, but it's hard to say for sure.

I have found that using HDMI into TVs the low res signal can often work, although PC monitors seem to be less likely to like the low res signal some will also work (the monitor on my desk will even display 240p but calls it 480i on the info screen). In my experience low res through a VGA cable will not work into most modern screens though. Obviously low res into a modern monitor isn't recommended for normal use but may be useful for a quick command line use here and there without changing other settings before and after...

Sorry I don't have a more useful answer.

RaMpAgE_3007
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by RaMpAgE_3007 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:57 pm

No worries, I'll do those suggestions, have a tv lying around I can plug into the hdmi.
btw it is a Pi4 using the updated files as mine doesn't work on 480.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:16 pm

Earlier Pi4s can do 480i but not later ones. I think it's the 1.4 revision that cannot do 480i, but I'm not sure. I can't find an easy way to tell short of trying them. In theory the ones that cannot do 480i could be better for overclocking and slightly faster so it may not be all bad, but again I'm not sure.

If your Pi4 needed the updated files to boot it cannot do 480i. I can barly use the terminal at 240p on my PVM so I'm not surprised it's hard on your arcade monitor.