Arcade Monitor (Original Burgertime) Flickering Issues

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

alinke
Community Member
Community Member

Arcade Monitor (Original Burgertime) Flickering Issues

Post by alinke » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:16 am

Hey there, trying to get ARPicade going on this original Burgertime cab. Tried both a Pi 3B and Pi 4 with the respective images. On the Pi 3B, tried HDMI mode 6 and 8 with no luck.

Here's the blinking / flickering https://youtube.com/shorts/5WiupSe-cJU

I have an existing VGA breakout cable to the arcade monitor which I had previously hooked up to a PC so I know the VGA breakout cable is good. Tried messing with the monitor controls a bit also but no luck. Any ideas welcome, thanks!

Attached also a pic of the monitor controls

burgertime-monitor.jpeg
burgertime-monitor.jpeg (100.31 KiB) Viewed 2248 times

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Arcade Monitor (Original Burgertime) Flickering Issues

Post by dee2eR » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:03 am

Reading the title I thought this was going to be a monitor that doesn't display interlaced well but that is definately not the issue here...

It's possible the HDMI to VGA DAC you are using doesn't support low res, I've found it's a bit of a lottery - while they all look about the same on the outside some can output low res and some can't. Otherwise nothing imediatly looks like an obvious issue.

Do you have both syncs hooked up on your VGA cable? If so are they going to positive or negetive sync connection on the monitor chasis? I'm not sure offhand if the sync from your HDMI adaptor would be positive or negetive or a mix, it may be worth trying the opposite of whatever you have now, hard to say - I haven't had a monitor with sepperated pos and neg syncs before.

Ordinarily with the RaspberryJAMMA hardware the separated syncs are combined into composite sync as per the JAMMA standard so I don't really have any experience using RGBH+V directly into the monitor like this... I just haven't tried it before to know any quirks of doing it that way.

Sorry I'm not more help.

alinke
Community Member
Community Member

Post by alinke » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:19 am

thanks! really appreciate the help. I'm pretty sure both syncs are wired into the VGA cable but will check that this weekend. And thanks for the tip on the HDMI to VGA converter, hopefully that is it, I'll try another one. Any particular ones/brands that are known to support low res?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:37 pm

Rankie branded ones seem pretty good at the moment, I've been using them for a while now.

alinke
Community Member
Community Member

Post by alinke » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:50 am

thanks! going to try this one out https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-HDMI-Adap ... 128&sr=8-4

will report back how it goes

alinke
Community Member
Community Member

Post by alinke » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:42 pm

that one worked! thanks, now need to hook up the controls and am in business again, much appreciated!

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Sk8ersublime » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:52 am

dee2eR wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:37 pm
Rankie branded ones seem pretty good at the moment, I've been using them for a while now.
Which one are you using for Pi4? Micro Hdmi to vga? The one I had was working fine, but decided to lose power or something, as now the picture is very dim. I bought a different one on Amazon and the picture looks great but it cuts on and off every few seconds making it useless. 2 more on the way….haha

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:26 am

It's possible you just got a dud DAC, I see less duds than I used to but there's been some that arn't quite right, some that won't do low res etc in the past (the current ones seem good though, less DOA than previous brands I've used). The previous brand I was using was good too until their DACs stopped working with low res, I won't name and shame them.

I supply full size HDMI to VGA DAC with a micro HDMI to full size HDMI adaptor, just to cover all options.

If you need one, I recommend the type of micro HDMI adaptor that has a short cable so it won't get in the way of mounting the DAC on the RaspberryJAMMA board, the solid ones can get in the way unless you use longer standoffs for the Pi. For people who got a RaspberryJAMMA with an earlier Pi the micro HDMI adaptor is all you need to use the board with a newer Pi (except new software and the Pi).

Cfdsxz32
Observer
Observer

Post by Cfdsxz32 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:47 am

Remarkable contribution, and your steadfast dedication to this topic is truly commendable. It's uplifting to witness increased interest in this subject on the platform, and your commitment to its exploration is greatly appreciated.