Blown fuse & over-amperage draw

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

WorldwideGaming
Observer
Observer

Blown fuse & over-amperage draw

Post by WorldwideGaming » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:28 pm

We're in the process of servicing an install of the ARpiCADE TMNT cabinet w/ a RaspberryPi 3B+, Raspberry JAMMA, and 4 player adapter board and are having issues -

Original issue - No boot - corrupted XD card. Rebuilt card - successfully tested out of cabinet on separate Pi 3B+. Was not able to boot in cabinet due to a blown 1A fuse on the Raspberry JAMMA board. Jumpered across the fuse to test boot and smoked a resistor (and possibly other items) on the JAMMA adapter.

Pi 3B+ still boots outside of cabinet, so it's still good.

Voltage to JAMMA board is steady at 5.1VDC. No visible shorts on Pi, JAMMA, or 4-player boards.

Wondering what the best course of action would be - send the JAMMA and 4-player card for repair or just purchase replacements? Any other suggestions welcome as well (similar issue and what the fix was?)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Blown fuse & over-amperage draw

Post by dee2eR » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:38 am

Hard to say what went wrong there. You should find the issue before plugging more boards into the cab, else you're at risk of damaging some more boards.

Were you careful assembing the boards? I've seen people misalign the four player add-on board to the 40 pin header on the RaspeberryJAMMA before which will blow a fuse (and if you short the fuse probably damage something). A ribbon cable has extra plastic at the ends that isn't on the 40 way PCB plug allowing it to be offset either way by one pin if it is installed without paying attention. If that's not it it's worth checking out your cab, not sure if it's new or old but old power supplies can do some pretty odd things on their way out - also if you'r enot familar with the cab itself it's worth having a good look in it for shorts etc.

If you go the path of trying to repair it use a 2.5A fuse not a 1A, I've been using 2.5A fuses for years now but haven't redesigned the PCB to update the silkscreen. I make the boards to be reaired in the longer term so it should be fixable, it's mostly through hole so you may as well try... I'm happy to have you send it to me in Australia for me to fix it if you need - but if it's a fuse and a resistor they're pretty easy parts to change yourself.

I hope that helps.