RPi Firmware update for Pi's mid 2023 and newer

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

MikeH482
Community Member
Community Member

RPi Firmware update for Pi's mid 2023 and newer

Post by MikeH482 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:19 am

Recently bought a new Raspberry Pi 3B+ to do a new Arpicade install. Cloned my working micro SD card. The card would not boot in the new RPi3B+ (green led on Pi gave an error code of 4 long flashes and 7 short flashes). After many hours of troubleshooting and reordering 3 (yes 3) RPi3B+ boards (to rule out a hardware error on a single board) I discovered that Pi's manufactured mid 2023 and newer require updated firmware files to work. If you experience this problem, here is what to do.

Download the updated firmware from Raspberry Pi: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... stable.zip

Unzip the file.

Copy/overwrite these 8 files into your boot directory on you SD card (easy to do on windows machines thanks to the ArPiCade image setup!)
fixup.dat
fixup_cd.dat
fixup_db.dat
fixup_x.dat
start.elf
start_cd.elf
start_db.elf
start_x.elf

Should boot up as expected now. Hopefully this saves someone the hours I spent troubleshooting it!

@dee2eR - you may already be aware of this but if not it might be worth considering updating the ArPiCade OS files retroactively for all Pi models.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: RPi Firmware update for Pi's mid 2023 and newer

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:25 am

I've been aware of this for a couple of weeks now, have been making an update to suit.

What settings are you running in your cab? I've experienced issues with the res switching on low res setups with just the firmware fix you have posted (works great in high res though). Have you had any issues on the new RPi3 you haven't seen on the older one?