Kick Harness Question

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Moosh_da_moosh
Community Member
Community Member

Kick Harness Question

Post by Moosh_da_moosh » Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi. I need help getting my kick buttons to work with my ArPiCade on my New Astro City cab.

I'm pretty new to Arcade stuff and esp stuff related to the ArPiCade. I have one all set up in my NAC. Everything works great!!! Except my kick buttons..... I know the buttons worked because I tested them by connecting them to the standard Jamma harness for the punch buttons. I had a really cool guy (Lemony Vengence) make me some new wires for all of my buttons and joysticks. He also made a cable that I connected to my harness that doesn't connect to anything else.

My assumption is that one end goes to my harness and the other to my PCB. Well there isn't anywhere to connect that on the Pi.

Either way, I connected everything and messed around with the pin out. Nothing made the kick buttons work.

Then I found this thread https://arpicade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30 that talks about connecting the kick harness directly to the Pi.

I imagine that's what this little connector that came with my ArPiCade is for.

I messaged the guy in that thread who made his own cable to go from Jamma harness straight to the Pi and he mentioned that since there's only pins for 6 buttons, if i wanted to make my own, i'd need to connect it to the existing ground.

Is connecting directly to the Pi the only way to make the kick buttons to work?

I also noticed that one of the pins on my harness was ripped out. I am pretty sure this was for one of the extra buttons (I checked a diagram and determined it was for button 5).

Any help would be appreciated.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Kick Harness Question

Post by dee2eR » Fri May 11, 2018 12:55 am

The ripped out pin looks to be player 1 button 4, the way the contact has broken may make it a tricky and delicate repair but it's hard to tell from the photo. If you want to fix it rather than replace the JAMMA edge connector a bodge wire from whatever remains of the pin to the loose wire should do it. As the pins are moulded into that style of connector replacement is the only other option.

If you're not using any boards which use button 4 on the JAMMA edge you *could* get away with not fixing it as B4 can also be put through the kick harness. If you ever use a JAMMA NEOGEO or other board that uses the JAMMA B4 you will definately want to fix the JAMMA connector. (JAMMA starndard is really only for 3 buttons, after that it gets a lot less standardised so it will depend on your use if you need to have b4 on the JAMMA edge working)

The CPS1 to cab kick harness you have already is similar to but not the same as the RaspberryJAMMA kick harness. Due to the space available on the RaspberryJAMMA board there are no grounds on it's kickharness. If your buttons are not already all grounded together that will need to be done under you control panel. If you want to modify your CPS1 harness you could pop the 2 green, 2 red and 2 blue wires out out of the housing including the pins and slide the pins into the smaller 6 pin housing (if you do this make sure to Google the pin outs so you get the wiring right). You can release the pins from the housings with a needle/nail/multimeter probe tip etc.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: that kick harness you have may be a CPS2 kick harness, not sure if they can be converted easily like CPS1 harness' can be.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Kick Harness Question

Post by mR_CaESaR » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am

You have a cps2 kick harness.

CPS1 and CPS2 kick harnesses all work on the assumption that you are getting ground from the PCB so it passes through the grounds to your TE AMP UP connectors.

As mentioned in the PM, since there is no ground pin from the RasperberryJamma header, you will need to join the grounds under the CP to get your kick harness to work.

That wire you have spliced open appears to be a ground, but definitely hard to tell unless you have a multi-meter to confirm if it is a ground wire.

Also, you probably didn't need to create a whole new thread for the exact same topic which you found :)