Game list on boot options

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

strider88
Community Member
Community Member

Game list on boot options

Post by strider88 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:53 am

How do I turn off the generated game list? Takes so long on boot ........

Also does it need to generate it every time it boots or does it only need to do it once?

Thanks!

Mat

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Game list on boot options

Post by dee2eR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:52 am

it can be switched off in /boot/run.sh by commenting out the 3 lines that do a romscan (1 scans arcade games, another scans console games and the third combines the lists generated by the other 2).

Assuming you don't change your roms you only need to scan them once. If you do need to change some roms you can also scan them from the service menu if the auto scan at startup is disabled.

Tapper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Tapper » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:31 am

I tried editing run.sh, but then after the "Arpicade" logo I get a text screen saying something about it can't locate the run.sh file?!
What I did: I just put ## in front of "bash /boot/launchers/scanRoms.sh all 2> /dev/null" then saved the file (using Paragon Linux File on Windows).
Now even when I edit the run.sh file back to the way it was, I get that text screen and Arpicade can't startup.

EDIT: I flashed a fresh image and started over.

Can someone explain EXACTLY which 3 lines in run.sh should be commented out?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:51 am

Sounds like you may have broken the format of the script accidentally. Did you use the built in Windows text editor? It tends to break the format of Linux based files. I recommend using Notepad++ instead of the default text editors, it's free and will not break the file formats. You shouldn't need to use Paragon for the first partition but I don't know if it could cause this issue, I would hope it doesn't.

It's possible if you didn't safely eject/remove/unmount the SD card after the edit that caused the problem too, not sure if that is done differently using Paragon.

Otherwise it looks like you did the right thing with your edit of run.sh, you no longer need to edit 3 lines that was in older versions of ARpiCADE. You only need one hash to comment out the line but having an extra hash there won't break anything.

I wish I had a more definitive answer for you. Hopefully whatever happened on the first try won't happen to you again.

Tapper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Tapper » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:05 am

Thanks. I will try again. Fingers crossed!

UPDATE: yep, works fine now. :-)