Sound/Wiring issues

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Bubbak
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sound/Wiring issues

Post by Bubbak » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 am

I just got around to working on my Jamma setup. I originally was using a pc power supply, but apparently wasn't giving a good enough 5v as I was continually getting the lightening bolt and some of the games were running slow. The sound worked fine. I'm using a vga monitor, but still have the audio going through the DAC. Tonight, I hooked up a regular arcade switching power supply, and the games play normal and the bolt is gone. Unfortunately my sound is gone also. I only had the +5v,-5v and ground hooked to the pc power supply so thats all I put on the switcher. Does the RPI need 12v? I tried replacing the 1/8 audio cable and didn't matter. Is there a mute button possibly?

Bubbak
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Sound/Wiring issues

Post by Bubbak » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:44 am

Its definitely something with my switcher. I can't adjust to get a good 5v+ and 5v- . Plugged the pc supply back in and the sound works.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:19 am

You don't need -5v for the RaspberryJAMMA (won't hurt anything if it is connected though, just isn't used by RaspberryJAMMA). You do however need the 12v connected for the JAMMA audio to work as the RJs onboard amp is running off 12v. If you get the sound out of the DAC and it goes to a stereo amp or 2.1 system or something you won't need the 12v.

Bubbak
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Bubbak » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks.. My Jamma Harness has Red/Bla/Yellow for the power wires. On the jamma diagrams I've seen, yellow is -5v. I never checked the working PS for power. I switched the yellow to 12v and all is good..

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Glad it's working. Best to never go by colour but 12v is often yellow on modern JAMMA harness'. I didn't realise how you had it hooked up, good thing the -5 didn't do anything weird to the audio amp - that's not something I'd thought to test (it would work on +5 but not be as loud).

Bubbak
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Bubbak » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:27 pm

I wired the cabinet about a year ago and apparently got it right then. I was in a rush and didn't pay attention.. Glad nothing appears to be damaged..