System logo images missing on Displays Menu screen

Questions and tweaks for Attract-Mode on ARpiCADE.

Moderator: dee2eR

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

System logo images missing on Displays Menu screen

Post by triggerhappy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:01 pm

I almost exclusively play games under the Arcade Classics section in Attract-Mode, so it had been some time since I exited out to the Displays Menu, where the various system categories are listed. However, I just noticed after exiting from Arcade Classics accidentally that most of the logo images that are supposed to appear in the Displays Menu/System Selection interface are not being displayed. In place of the logos I just see white rectangles.

I'm not sure how long it's been this way, but I haven't tinkered with the Displays Menu theme settings directly afaik. Any idea why the logos are missing?

I'm running in vertical mode at hi-res to my LCD display. The AM theme used for the Displays Menu appears to be called unified-displaymenu-auto.

UPDATE:
I loaded another AM theme designed for the Displays Menu I found at http://aha-forums.com/wp/2019/04/28/att ... splayview/, and it has the same issue: most of the system logos are blacked out.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: System logo images missing on Displays Menu screen

Post by dee2eR » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:26 am

I had that happen once but couldn't figure out why, pretty sure it was on a Pi4 version of ARpiCADE... I replaced the system logo files and it fixed it up, except for one that seemed stubborn. What version of ARpiCADE has it happened on for you?

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by triggerhappy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:42 pm

Yeah, it's weird. Idk how long it's been like this or why it happened, but I'm pretty sure the images were working fine at one point. As a workaround, the new AM theme I found lets me substitute text for the logo images so I can at least navigate the Displays Menu. I'd prefer to see the logos, but it's a minor gripe.

I'm running ARpiCADE 3.X. Where are the system logos located, btw?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:05 pm

/boot/previews/wheel/[name of system].png (if you can organize files via dates in your file manager they should be the newest ones in the folder).

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by triggerhappy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:04 am

Thanks, dee2eR. Couple of follow-up questions...

1) Where is the list of categories displayed on the Displays Menu screen defined (a TXT file somewhere)?
2) Where is the path to the logos for those categories defined/how does it map each category to its corresponding PNG filename?

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by triggerhappy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:29 pm

triggerhappy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:04 am
1) Where is the list of categories displayed on the Displays Menu screen defined (a TXT file somewhere)?
2) Where is the path to the logos for those categories defined/how does it map each category to its corresponding PNG filename?
Nvm. I think I figured it out for the most part.

The system categories are defined in the /home/pi/.attract/attract.cfg file, and the PNG filenames just need to match up to the names as they appear in that cfg file.

I'm still not sure how the Displays Menu layout knows to look in the /boot/previews/wheel directory specifically, but now that I know where it looks and how the filename mapping works, I'm think I'm good to go.

Thanks again :)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:21 pm

/boot/previews/ is linked to /home/pi/.attract/menu-art so as far as Attract-Mode is concerned it's looking at /home/pi/.attract/menu-art/[preview type]/[system or game name].[extension]

I'm not sure if it's possible to set the art directory any other way, I don't think it was when I set up the symlink but that was a whiles back now.