Custom info screen before game launch

Questions and tweaks for Attract-Mode on ARpiCADE.

Moderator: dee2eR

Cjoli
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Custom info screen before game launch

Post by Cjoli » Sun May 26, 2019 12:20 am

Hi, I have a question, not sure if anyone has an answer to, I would like to have a screen/image load before the game loads, where you have to hit a button again to advance to the game. For example I have an Arpicade in a Ms Pac cab with the Mikes Arcade 2 button control panel, I only have about 20 games on it and I would like to make a custom info screen for each game that has a little info about the game, directions and number of buttons used, etc. That someone can look at before going into the game, so it stays on the screen until they are ready to go into the game. I know I have seen something like this before, I think on hyper-spin but didn't know if there was a way to do it in Attract-Mode?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Custom info screen before game launch

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 am

Interesting idea that one... I have no idea if Attract has that built into it. If not, it could be scripted into the launchers, a bit like the loading screens are currently.

That said, I don't have a more specific answer for this one.

gt7766c
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by gt7766c » Sun May 26, 2019 1:01 am

Unsure about another screen before loading the game, but the recent 3.84 version of Arpicade loads a lot more info for Attract Mode into the Romlists (I'm learning how these work). See the thread about the latest release.

FrizzleFried, one of the key contributors on this site has a blog I reference often and he posted this attract mode display that has some of the detail you're looking for.
http://aha-forums.com/wp/2019/02/16/att ... rcade-4-0/

I'm working on my image tonight to try out this new display so I don't have any first hand experience just yet but wanted to point it out as a potential solution. There might be a similar version for a vertical setup.
Kris

Vids:  Ms. Pac-Man, Star Wars, NBA Jam TE, Golden Tee Complete, ARpiCADE  X  2
Pins:  Space Shuttle, Space Mission

gt7766c
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by gt7766c » Sun May 26, 2019 1:02 am

http://aha-forums.com/wp/2019/03/30/att ... t-opacity/

Here's a vertical one I found on his site that has game info on it.
Kris

Vids:  Ms. Pac-Man, Star Wars, NBA Jam TE, Golden Tee Complete, ARpiCADE  X  2
Pins:  Space Shuttle, Space Mission

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:38 pm

It IS possible to create a layout that will open a page with a button push... but not before launching the game. Basically you could set it up so that the game would launch with a push of START or P1-B1 ... then P1-B2 would be the info page...

That shouldn't be too difficult. However, what you are asking would require the author of the program to implement changes as to how launching games work I'm guessing...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)