Diamondplate v2 Low Res Layout

Questions and tweaks for Attract-Mode on ARpiCADE.

Moderator: dee2eR

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Diamondplate v2 Low Res Layout

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 am

I released the original Diamondplate layout about a week ago.. consider that mostly a BETA because I've done SO much more to the front end since then...

Lets begin with why I originally made this layout. I own a Dynamo HS5 arcade cabinet I've themed as "Capcom Anthology" and I wanted a front end layout that would compliment the original artwork I made for the cabinet. I also wanted to learn more about the squirrel language and how layouts are built, etc. I am no programmer, but I am capable of hacking my way through things to figure out how they work, etc... and over the last week I've managed to learn quite a bit about how things work in squirrel. This is my FIRST layout... (well, my second if you count the original Diamondplate layout)... and I am 100% positive the programming isn't the most efficient and I am sure much of what I've done could be done "better"... but I am still pretty darned proud of the end result...

Diamondplate v2 is more than just an "upgrade" from the original Diamondplate. Here are some of the features...

• Choice of 5 different main backgrounds.
• Choice of 17 different backgrounds for the game list section.
• Choice of the standard games list style that was used in the original Diamondplate or a Configurable "smooth" games list.
• Choice of 4 colors for both the un-selected games and the selected game text (configurable games list only).
• Choice of scroll speed (configurable games list only).
• Choice of text fade (configurable games list only).

With this layout you can make quite a number of different looking front ends...

Here are some examples:

IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG (113 KiB) Viewed 5252 times

While most of the artwork components I've included have a Capcom slant, there is more than one background and many game list backgrounds that aren't branded in any way... for example...

IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG (56.17 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
All of these changes are done via the display layout configuration area of Attract Mode...

One thing you WILL need to do is install the conveyor_helper module for attract mode... it can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6SHV ... mktUWF5blU

Simply install the folder and .nut file in the modules folder of attract-mode. You will need access to your local drive... standard windows alone will not see the drive... I use a program called PANDORA to read/write to the drive. The modules folder, unfortunately, isn't on the BOOT drive that Windows can see.

Once conveyor_helper has been installed, simply download and install the front end as normal...

Let me know what you think! Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated! This has been quite entertaining and I've learned a bit as well!

You can download the layout here: http://www.filedropper.com/diamondplatev2
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: Diamondplate v2 Low Res Layout

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:20 pm

...and you can already expect another (FINAL!) update sometime soon (couple days? earlier?). I just got the wheel-logos to work in the games list...

>sigh<

;)

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 am

...and it's ready.

I've up the number of skins to 10... games lists backgrounds to 20... and I added a number of new goodies...

Take a look...

https://youtu.be/1VEXjuBkcm8

You can download it HERE!

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Diamondplate III has been released!

New features include a progress bar, player # and genre indicators, favorites capabilities, and a bit more. You can download the new version at my blog site...

www.idahogaragecade.com (select the AM LAYOUTS button at top)

Here is a video of the layout in action...

https://youtu.be/KhcV95d1kMU

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:33 pm

I’ve discovered another small bug in one of my layouts. This time it’s the Diamondplate layout and the bug had to do with the gameslist (logos or text) appearing through the marquee window when there is no art present (my test-bed has “NO ART” placeholders hence the reason I didn’t detect the issue prior!). I figured I would take the opportunity to add controller and button info options as well as a few other tweaks while I was at it. The result is Diamondplate IV. You can find the updated Diamondplate blog post HERE.

dfmassi
Community Member
Community Member

Post by dfmassi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Greatly appreciate all you do - Thank You!